B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Doing a Boost Leak Test, am I supposed to plug this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:10 PM
1st Gear
Question Doing a Boost Leak Test, am I supposed to plug this?

This has probably been asked a few times. I have searched but have been unsuccessful.

I am following this write up:
http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...boostleak.html

I've already fabricated a plug for the turbo inlet pipe (why isn't it called a hose?), a plug for the opening in the turbo inlet pipe when you remove the pressure regulator valve.

My question is when you remove the pressure regulator valve are you supposed to plug the other end that it connected to also(PCV return)?

I also found oil in the pressure regulator valve and some oil residue on the hose that connects to the throttle body a while back when I cleaned the TB. Should I be concerned?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by HeyCesar
This has probably been asked a few times. I have searched but have been unsuccessful.

I am following this write up:
http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...boostleak.html

I've already fabricated a plug for the turbo inlet pipe (why isn't it called a hose?), a plug for the opening in the turbo inlet pipe when you remove the pressure regulator valve.

My question is when you remove the pressure regulator valve are you supposed to plug the other end that it connected to also(PCV return)?

I also found oil in the pressure regulator valve and some oil residue on the hose that connects to the throttle body a while back when I cleaned the TB. Should I be concerned?
The TIP is called a pipe and not a hose because it's *supposed* to be rigid. The OEM inlet pipe is admittedly not very rigid, but it was good enough for Audi, apparently.

The oil you saw is common, and one of the downsides to the PCV system. Recirculating the pressurized air from the valve cover/crank case back into the intake allows the oil vapor, condensation, and other gunk to go back into the intake tract, through the turbo, boost hoses, intercooler, and ultimately the throttle body. A good solution to this problem is a catch can, if you'd like more info on that PM me and I can fill ya in.

As for the other end of the pancake valve, you don't need to plug it. Just plug the hole in the tip where you pulled it out of.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 PM
2nd Gear

One last thing that I learned this weekend from Dave (dmaxn) is that when you do this you also have to unscrew your oil cap.