B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Does my turbo look rebuildable? (big pictures, no dialup)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear
Default Does my turbo look rebuildable? (big pictures, no dialup)

I removed the turbo today and it definitely needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I've never worked on turbochargers before. I haven't taken it apart at this point, but can you guys look at these pictures and see what you think? The pictures probably aren't very good though, but hopefully they might be good enough. I put some short comments on them but keep in mind I know little about turbos.

There was a little bit of oil in the air plumbing, and I can hear the thing sound like a jet for like 30 seconds when I turn the car on/off. It doesn't sound bad (to me, anyway) while the car's running though.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:58 PM
3rd Gear

theres nothing that looks bad. though damage that would make it non rebuildable wouldnt necessarily show up without disassembly.

and what is a 'dial up'? lol

Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear

Though I will have to find a way to get the rest of that broken bolt out. Couldn't get it out, so I heated the head with a MAPP torch until it was red, and *snap*

Old 10-04-2009, 09:17 PM
4th Gear

Oil in the IC hoses/Pipes is perfectly normal and doesn't mean its coming from the turbo, this is because the crank case breather allows oil vapor to get into the intake system.

I am not seeing any issues with the turbo.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:44 PM
2nd Gear

Whaaat, really? Darn. Well, I'm gonna just go and rebuild it then since it's out and all.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear

By the way, where can I buy that oil (I think) adapter that's messed up? Perhaps it's some sort of standard fitting but what size? And will I need a crush washer or anything for it?

I ordered the rebuild kit and gasket set from G-Popshop and will order new grade 10.9 M10x1.0x50mm bolts from Fastenal, and I guess I need new nuts for the downpipe side. What else? Do I need to replace the studs on the downpipe side too? I assume they should be ok to reuse?

Last edited by dragonrage; 10-05-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:40 PM
4th Gear

Try ATP Turbo web site.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:07 PM
4th Gear

well good luck with the rebuild... i have an extra t25 from an sr20det nissan motor... turbo is good no shaft play... internal waste gate went bad though... if u or anyone is interested then pm me lol

Old 10-27-2009, 04:42 PM
2nd Gear

I decided to send the turbo in the G-Popshop. Good thing, I guess, because they informed me that basically everything inside of it is trashed. Ordered the K03/K04 hybrid.

What should I use to clean the intake plumbing of oil residue? I'm going to clean the intercooler with brake cleaner, but I can't see that being good for the rubber hose. What's safe for it?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear

Ugh, I forgot that I needed to order that fitting in the last picture (the one on top). Can anyone help me find out what I need? I went to the local Autozone and Advance and they both said go to the dealer. I might end up having to do so but I hate going to dealers for parts. Does anyone have a link to where I can order it, or have the sizes I need? It has two different sizes. I don't know if it's metric or AN or what, but the smaller one looks to be around 12mm and the larger one maybe 15mm or something? Both coarse thread. Probably AN (which, I know, is not metric) but I'm not sure.

Quick Reply: Does my turbo look rebuildable? (big pictures, no dialup)