B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

DOES ANYONE KNOW????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:19 PM
1st Gear
Default DOES ANYONE KNOW????

Ok, i just got a used 1999 not 1999.5 audi a4 2.8 quattro 5speed, and i was wondering if anyone knows if a instrument cluster from a 2000 audi s4 6speed would work fine in my car? Also i was also wondering if there's a timing chain in this engine or is it the same thingas the timing belt??? it's so confusing everyone calls it what they want!, also when is it recomended that you do that?? i mean after how many miles??...ohh and what other service is recomended tha you do before the car breaks down and you have to spend a billion dollars to fix it??? hahaha... any help??

Old 02-15-2008, 11:22 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: DOES ANYONE KNOW????

also i forgot to add does the instrument cluster need a safe code like the radio???

Old 02-15-2008, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

it is called a timing belt. I would change it unless you have the maitnence records saying it has already been done. In terms of the insturment cluster I am pretty sure it will fit, check the number of plugs on the back, but still I would double check with the dealer.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

thanks, yeah i'm thinking, there sholdn't be any problem scince the one in my car is a vdo, so it's pretty much the same gaugues and stuff, yeah they want 700 to do the job, you think that s too much??

Old 02-16-2008, 12:48 AM
5th Gear

there's a cam chain on the back of the head if that's wut you mean. i'm not sure if the S4 cluster willwould though

Old 02-16-2008, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

is the chainwhat you have to get replaced or your valves and your engine will get messed up, or is it the timing belt??? should you do the timing chain ever? thanks

Old 02-17-2008, 01:53 AM

700 to put different gauges in!?! or timing belt?

Old 02-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Administrator

Here's the deal - the timing belt runs off of the crank pulley and over two of the four cams (I believe the exhaust cams). The intake cams are chain-driven off the exhaust cams, so in a sense, you have both a timing belt and two timing chains (seems like an unnecessarily complex setup but I'm sure Audi engineers had their reasons for doing it this way). The chains are left alone - it's the belt (along with the tensioner, water pump, etc) that you change. You can order a complete timing belt kit from www.purems.com or www.ecstuning.com that will include everything you need. The chains are generally left alone. In rare instances they're known to fail or have problems, and it's a good thing it's rare - I've heard prices of $600-700 for the parts alone, and if you can't change it yourself, it's gonna cost a fortune in labor as well.

As for the $700 you mentioned for "doing the job", if that's the t-belt service, it's not completely raping you, but an independent Euro shop would probably be a little less. If that's the cost of changing out the instrument cluster (for parts and labor) it's probably high. If it's labor only, it's rape.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

noooo... lol thats for labor and parts for the timing belt!!! (I am getting it donne by an independent euroshop)i didn't think it was too bad, but i plan to change the gauges myself, is that too hard to do???? isn't it just two bolts that you take off the front and thats it???? i would never pay 700 for the gauges switched out!!! i'm buying s4 gauges for $100 soo, it's not so bad i think, you much do you think it would cost to havethem put in??? thanks...

Old 02-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Administrator

LOL that's good then - parts and labor for $700 sounds like a good price. I've never pulled the gauge cluster but from what I remember reading it's basically what you said - remove the screws, pull it out, unplug it, and toss it. Having it done, probably takes an hour, so figure they'll ask two hours labor maybe? For that project, I'd DIY if I were you.