B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Do you know about boost, Engine Mounts and Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear
Question Can you help w/ boost, Engine Mounts and Coolant?

Hi guys,

I have a really weird one for you. Seemingly interconnected issues, but maybe not.

I got a 17 psi. tune way back - and at some point, right out of the blue, you could hear the turbo spooling up when I drove. It sounds like a jet engine spooling up. It didn't seem to affect psi. and I actually liked the sound of it, so I left it alone.

Fast forward to somewhere in the months after that began. I noticed I'm leaking just a tiny bit of boost, but I don't know where from. She was hitting 14-16 psi, but bouncing in between the two like a rattlesnake at WOT.

Vacuum has always been fine (-25) and the best (road) test for sustained boost was on the interstate, so I dropped WOT in 5th and watched the gauge. 14 psi all day. No bouncing and rattling around (my gauge is analog in case that wasn't clear).

I replaced both engine and both trans mounts a couple weeks ago. Everything went relatively smooth, but as some of you know: the engine mount most in need of replacing is the hardest one to get to - right under the turbo/cat/exhaust area, so I had to jack that side of the engine up separately.

Since then, the spool up sound that can be heard at warm up is irregular. It doesn't sound good anymore and once the idle dies down, it sounds like one of the turbo impellers is scraping something for just a second (like pulling out a samurai sword in the movies).

I've driven hundreds of miles since then. I always have the A/C blowing cold. I'll let the car idle with the A/C on in the Fl. heat for however long I need to.

Today I noticed a stream of coolant coming from under my car. I shut it down (it was idling in the sun) and checked the catch can. I lost some coolant, but not enough to trip the sensor.

I drove it home as is, watching the thermostat closely and when I got home, I hadn't lost anymore coolant, but I could see where some coolant had sprayed on the insulated line that looks like a hose, under the catch can and right by the oil filter/cooler, but I can't find a leak anywhere.

Now I'm maxing out at 12 psi and the coolant leak is totally intermittent. It leaks when it wants to, but never enough to trip the sensor.

Can anyone make sense of this? I know some of it's connected, but it has me baffled right now.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by A4TurboGuy; 06-22-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:17 AM
2nd Gear

Update: I found the coolant leak. I don't think it's a leak, I think it's some sort of pressure relief built into the catch can.

I replaced my "radiator cap" a little while back and although it seemed to be the right one, it wouldn't get snug and "snap" into a closed position, so I used duct tape to hold it in place. After getting tired of that, I bought another new cap and this one fit perfectly. That was less than a couple weeks ago.

I went to open the catch can while the engine was still hot. As I slowly opened the cap, you could hear the pressure change and I saw the coolant "****" down from the tube like piece on the bottom of the catch can (near the reap passenger side on the bottom).

Any ideas?

Thanks again.