B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Do I have a tranny problem? Please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Do I have a tranny problem? Please advise.

Hi all,

I think I have the beginnings of a potential AT problem and I would much appreciate some advice and input from you. My car is a 2001 Audi A4 with the Tiptronic transmission. I have no idea of the transmission number or type, so bear with me.

I have two issues, one of which is intermittent. I'll try to describe them both.

1. When in normal "automatic" mode, the car drives fine and changes gear correctly with only one concern. As the car shifts into 3rd gear, it feels as though something is slipping for a second or two and then all is normal. As an example, lets say the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd at 3000 rpm. The revs drop from 3000 to about 2300, maintains 2300 for one or two seconds and then drops to 2100 and then drives normally. I have not detected this in any other gear, but it is bothersome.
When using the steering wheel buttons in Tip mode, this does not seem to happen. Any thoughts?

2. Occasionally, after using the car in Tip mode and coming to a halt, the gear selector will not go into park. It feels as though it is fouling on something, somewhere. After a few tries, it will eventually go into park and act normally. As i said, this does not happen all the time, but I'm concerned that something may be on the way out and i would like to catch it before it does.

Just to be clear, I am completely clueless about automatic transmissions, so I don't know where to start with this. No codes have been thrown, at all. It is also worth noting that I had the GIAC Tiptronic chip installed at the same time I did my engine chip. I don't know if this might be relevant.

Sorry for the long post, but I don't know how else to describe this.