B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Display says I have a bulb out, but can't find a bulb out

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Display says I have a bulb out, but can't find a bulb out

As far as I can tell all of my bulbs are working. Headlights, high beams, front, rear and side turn signals, all brake lights, both front fogs and single rear fog, license plate lights, reverse lights, and all dome lights are working. That beeping sound along with the display message that comes on every time I turn on my lights telling me that a bulb is out is driving me CRAZY! Anyone else ever have this problem? Any idea about a light I could be missing?? Could it be that a bulb is about to burn out so its resistance has changed, but hasn't burnt out yet? Do I need to disconnect the battery for a little bit to reset the ECU? I am at a loss.

Last edited by Munzter; 07-22-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

I found this "Owners manual indicates that a system failure will present itself with the Bulb Icon in the drivers info center, but no more information as to what system has failed." My Airbag control module went kaput and I haven't replaced it yet. Could this be manifesting itself through the Bulb icon appearing? Doesn't seem that this could be it because the Bulb icon only appears when I turn on my lights.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:00 PM
4th Gear

Have you changed out any lights lately?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:09 PM
5th Gear

so it only happens when you turn on your lights? swap the high beam bulbs with low beams

Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 PM
2nd Gear

i have had your exact problem since i got the car (about 4 years) and i have changed every bulb in the car and it comes and goes sometimes it's on all the time and sometimes it is on and off. and it is a light malfunction idactor on the dash it looks like a light bulb with an "X" though it.

I really wish i could figure out this mystery it drive me crazy sometimes

Old 07-23-2009, 01:13 AM
4th Gear

Its gotta be a bad connection somewhere raising the resistance setting off the alarm. Corroded sockets maybe?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kraylon
i have had your exact problem since i got the car (about 4 years) and i have changed every bulb in the car and it comes and goes sometimes it's on all the time and sometimes it is on and off. and it is a light malfunction idactor on the dash it looks like a light bulb with an "X" though it.

I really wish i could figure out this mystery it drive me crazy sometimes
Well, atleast someone is experiencing the same problem. It seems it shouldn't be a bad connection within the headlights where the bulbs plug in, because I recently purchased new headlights and it still brings up the error. Could it be that it is in the sockets that plug into the headlights and turn signals? It does the same thing with me, being intermittent. It will always come on when I initially turn on my headlights, and sometimes it goes off after a minute or two, and other times it will remain on the entire time.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Administrator

It could be your brake light. Have you checked those?

(The brake bulbs have 2 purposes: one for taillight purposes and one for the brakes).

Old 07-23-2009, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear

^^^if the brake bulbs are installed incorrectly they also put the light error display on.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:13 PM
4th Gear

Audiworld has something about the brake switch being misadjusted...

Quick Reply: Display says I have a bulb out, but can't find a bulb out