B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

dieselgeek panzer skid plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:18 AM
1st Gear
Default dieselgeek panzer skid plate

i just got my aluminum skid plate in the mail today! just moved to phoenix from michigan and freaked out when i bottomed out a few times out here (plus the plastic one wasn't doing so well, only 2 bolts from the original hardware were holding it on). plus i have heard too many horror storys about ******* up the oil pan. hopefully this $250 will help me sleep better at night.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:40 AM
2nd Gear

haha good thinking.. wish i had one i not only had to do my oil pan but replace my tranny as well from a speed bump :P
where'd ya get it?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator

good to hear man, lets see some pics when you get it on! That's definitely something i'm going to look into when i lower my car

Old 08-15-2009, 11:00 AM
4th Gear

I need one soon but I need it to meet the new NHRA rules for catching oil if the motor blows.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Lebe Frei
haha good thinking.. wish i had one i not only had to do my oil pan but replace my tranny as well from a speed bump :P
where'd ya get it?
www.dieselgeek.com

i'll get some pics up once its on. hopefully i will be able to lower my car a little bit more, but i am not sure how daring i want to be.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear

When I bought my car my underpan was thrashed. So instead of paying $100 for a new plastic pan, I went with the panzer plate. At $250, it's a great price. If you bottom out and need an oil pan, that's close to another $100, plus you'll need to do an oil change after you spilled it all over the road. Worst of all if you are out and about, you'll need to get a tow. I definitely sleep better at night knowing I have this. Great buy!

Old 08-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Old 08-15-2009, 05:18 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jmgrande
When I bought my car my underpan was thrashed. So instead of paying $100 for a new plastic pan, I went with the panzer plate. At $250, it's a great price. If you bottom out and need an oil pan, that's close to another $100, plus you'll need to do an oil change after you spilled it all over the road. Worst of all if you are out and about, you'll need to get a tow. I definitely sleep better at night knowing I have this. Great buy!
If you bottom out hard enough a thin metal cover under the car isn't going to keep the oil pan from being cut open like a can. Its meant more for soft stuff that you might run over.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
If you bottom out hard enough a thin metal cover under the car isn't going to keep the oil pan from being cut open like a can. Its meant more for soft stuff that you might run over.
Mike it's really not that thin, and it's strong and sturdy. Especially over a plastic sound deadener. This is a full blown skid plate. I could see someone denting it, but I really think it's be hard to cut through it easily.

I'M GOING OFF ROADIN' NOW!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:34 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jmgrande
Mike it's really not that thin, and it's strong and sturdy. Especially over a plastic sound deadener. This is a full blown skid plate. I could see someone denting it, but I really think it's be hard to cut through it easily.

I'M GOING OFF ROADIN' NOW!
A oil pan isn't exactly paper thin either. If people are really worried about bottoming out all the time they should raise their car. lol

Quick Reply: dieselgeek panzer skid plate