B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

desperate...PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Ok so I finally got the tranny dropped after fighting tooth and nail. Look at the clutch assembly thinking..."Oh lord how am I going to get this off?" Tried but all I seem to manage to do is turn the engine. I was trying to get the allen bolts out and when I tried tapping on the wrench black stuff started falling out. Im guessing whats left of my clutch\pressure plate. I am guessing that I am going to need an impact wrench for this one?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM
4th Gear

Yes the best way is to use an impact gun. If you dont have one you can use a 12 point socket to hold the front crank bolt keeping the crank from spinning while you take the bolts off and when you put the bolts back in.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 AM
1st Gear

So I got the clutch assembly apart. First thing I noticed was the massive amounts of clutch disk dust falling out. Then when I actully got the thing off first thing I noticed was the stock audi clutch disk and thought to myself "Wow Im pretty sure these are supposed to be a bit thicker than say I dont know two cd's stacked on top of each other IF THAT so yeah disk is toast. Then I looked at the pressure plate...sure enough Mike-2ptzero you were 100% on in the other thread I started before this one... its cracked....in three places. I was like "HOLY ****!!!" So then I started looking at the flywheel....its smooth no ridges or burns. I'm pretty certain I can get by with a resurface which there is a guy I know that works at a shop sometimes that only charges $30. I wish to hell and back that I could just say screw it and get a single mass flywheel but I don't have another $475 to sink into this repair\upgrade. So few questions. I found a stage 2 at APR. Its a DXD (which I have read something about it being CM) for $435. Now. The only mods I have made are the air intake, muffler delete and I am going to see what it sounds like without the resonator (if it sounds ricy then I am definitely putting it back on. Will this be TOO much clutch for me? Im running the stock K03. Second question being is $30 reasonable for a resurface for a flywheel or does this kind of thing normally run like $200 and I shouldn't trust this. That friend....isn't a guy I would trust with the keys to my car because I don't know him THAT well. The website is from the "AUDI LINKS" link ( http://www.goapr.com/products/dxdclutch.php?id=18tlong ) So if someone could please respond. Mike I know you talked to me about it but I want to be clear and not get a clutch that is going to clamp too much for basically my stock-ish car.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 AM
4th Gear

DXD is South Bend's brand name. The SB stage 2 for $435 listed on the APR site is the HD-O which is an organic disk. You can also find it here for the same price but with shipping included in the 48 states.

The HD-O will have a little stiffer pedal then your stock pedal. It is rated for 280tq. If you need a SB clutch that holds a little more power, the HD-TZ and HD-OFE will hold 325 tq.

If you want a stock pedal or slightly softer then stock pedal with high engagement like the stock clutch, you can get a CM FX100 for $425 shipped anywhere in the USA.