B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Desperate For Help, MisFire Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Desperate For Help, MisFire Issues

My 98 A4Q 2.8L (AHA) w/ 95K, has been throwing some codes at me and I just can't seem to get this problem fixed. My engine idles at about 800 rpm (aprox) and stays there. But while it's idleing, and only when it's idleing, the engine is just rocking back and forth like it's offbalance.

Codes: Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire for Cylinders 1, 2, and 3

The first thought was to start at the basics and replace spark plugs and wires. Codes were reset and popped back up. From there I replaced the Cam Senor. Still engine codes were present. I had the timing belt looked at and everything checked out to be working properly. Took it to the next step and replaced the whole Coil Pack. And still the same problem. Now my question is, What else could it be? All fluids are up to par and everything seems to be normal. Could it be bent valves? Blown Head Gasket? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated guys!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Desperate For Help, MisFire Issues

Could it be vaccuum hoses or something electrical?? Just a thought.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

just pray that its not a timing belt issue. I have a 1999.5 2.8q and at 76k miles the timing belt decided it wanted to stretch and it wouldn't run right and the whole engine was shaking back and fourth and the check engine light was flashing. I took it to the shop and it turned out the timing belt stretched and jumped teeth on the cam gears and valves hit the pistons. So it got new valves, new timing belt, tensioner, new water pump and all when I left my bill was 3900 dollars. It wasn't very pretty lol

Old 02-13-2008, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

i hope to god it's not my timing belt. i'm debating whether or not to take it to the shop and have my bank account drained but it seems like that might be the only way to get this all fixed.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:12 AM
5th Gear

how do you have coilpacks? i don't understand. try changin the temp sensor. and when you say your engine rocks back and forth, does it literally do that? like you popped the hood and looked? if so your engine mounts are totally gone. also post the actual codes. i live in binghamton so if you don't have vagcom i can scan it for ya. just holler. if it was your timing belt broken, you would hear the belt flapping around. i doubt there's anything wrong with the internals if the timing belt is intact. to check the timing belt, you just have to take off the black cover in the front of the engine. it's just like 2 or 3 clips you pry off with a flat head and then just push thne back on. also seafoam your car, if you don't know how to do it, get 2 bottles of it and i'll do it for you lol

Old 02-13-2008, 08:24 AM
1st Gear

i may have to take u up on that offer for the vag-com scan. i live right in Cortland so it's not far at all. i know the timing belt didnt snap, but the one guy was saying it might of 'stretched'? the belt was check and turns out to be fine. I've heard of seafoam but how do u use it? doesnt it just go into the oil and gas tank?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:22 AM
5th Gear

ya you put about 2/3 of a can into the gas, the another 2/3 or it into the crankcase and use about 1/3 for cleaning the intake mani. you'll want to change the oil afer 50 miles of driving with the seafoam. the whole process of seafoaming takes about 1/3, once you do it once, you'll know howto do it the next time but that won't be anytime soon lol. the timing belt strecing is a possibility, if that's the case, you might not want to drive the car much, but you did get it checked. ya hit me up on a weekend, also see if you can get jeremy too. the more brains the better lol

Old 03-22-2009, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

I would just like to state that I'm STILL having this same problem... I think train tracks will cure this problem. I'm home from Iraq and I seriously just need to get rid of this so I can buy a car with a damn warranty this time.

European Cars + Maintenance = Drained Bank Account