B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

depo projector lense swap question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:46 AM
1st Gear
Default depo projector lense swap question

anyone know if there are any specific HID projector lenses that fit into the depo headlight housing?

Im sort of not to pleased with the light output it currently produces. My friend has some hid projector lenses from acura & bmw. Would those directly swap over without drilling new holes?

Also, these depo projectors are meant to be used for Halogen bulbs?
I put my hid kit in there and it definitely doesnt look like this image below
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Depo-...spagenameZWDVW

I would assume those are halogen bulbs so would I get the same light output as the link above? If so, it'll probably be cheaper to buy some halogen's for now ?

Old 04-14-2008, 10:45 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: depo projector lense swap question

no, those are meant to be used un a projector housing, they are replacemnt projectors

you could retrofit those into your halogen housings, but it would not be worth it

Old 04-14-2008, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

I already have Depo 2-piece projector headlights. Im just thinking the projector headlights I bought might be meant for Halogen bulbs?
Reason im thinking that is due to my light output. I dont think its bright enough / shine distance.

this is what my cut off looks like when shining the lights on my garage wall at a distance of 5-6 feet.

Name:  projectorcut-off.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  5.1 KB

maybe adjust them more up?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:24 PM
4th Gear

do you have hids in the current projectors ?

i have hids in my halogen projectors, and the cut off is very sharp

Old 04-14-2008, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

yes i do. I re-used them since i had them in my O.E halogen lights. I swapped them out and for some reason they just arent bright enough.

Do you know of anyone that bought those Depo projectors, put an HID kit in and has improved visibility?
im hoping its just an adjustment issue.
Maybe my hid's are on their way out?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

also,... ill take a better shot of what i mean tonight.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:53 PM
4th Gear

i got blacked out depos and and running 4300k HIDs, light output is good although the lateral adjustment is busted on one of them but hey for 110 shipped icouldnt complain but overall driving out in the boonies where i live they are a great improvement over what i had, my old halogen and stock lights were useless and good if i rant eh fog, i had to eliminate the fogs with the depos (pre facelift) but the light output is still better than with stock and fogs combined.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

I wonder if perhaps the 8000k bulbs I have in their now could be the reason im complaining about it not being bright enough.

You know on OE cars with Xenons or any car with Xenon's, you can see the light pattern on the road way sort of like a V.
I dont see that on mine. looks like the light is scattered on the floor. I'm going to adjust the lights again in a bit and take a drive at night to see if perhaps i need to angle them a bit higher.

Im surprised that I feel im having this problem because I've read nothing but good things about Depo headlights. Im not disappointed yet just probably need some adjustment

Old 04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

The 8000k bulbs could definitely be a part of it. Aiming also. When I got my depo lights and installed them, they were way low and my output sucked. Lined 'em up on the garage door, aimed them up to the proper height, and the visibility was very good, with the sharp cutoff that I expected to see. Bring up your aim on the lights, and you'll probably see WAY better. Swap out your HID bulbs for a set of 4300-6000k bulbs and see even better.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

Name:  GarageHidShot1.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  7.2 KB
Lets just say this is the light output im expecting while driving out on the road. Even dark ones but, thats not the case.
I think i moved them as high as i could i may have to fiddle with the headlight and the way its mounted.

I took this one from about 15 feet away before pulling into the garage. There is a slight incline right before entering so my car isnt leveled properly

Also, whats a good method to use to align the headlight? Should I follow the top edge of the bumper

Quick Reply: depo projector lense swap question