B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

debadging issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:13 PM
1st Gear
Default debadging issues

so i tried to debadge my a4 today, used heat, used de greaser on stick y crap, wouldnt come off repeated process for quite some time 20 mins maybe. got a magic eraser special de greaser kept scrubber. and mostly got it off for the time being. but i got a really bad flat spot on my paint there now. its really dull not shiny like the rest of the paint. im super pissed now and trying to access my options before further f*ck ups. so what are my options to restore luster to the paint spot? any help would be awesome thanks

Old 03-15-2012, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

Your best bet is to go to someone who does paint work on the side and have them buff that spot for ya, I know I'd do it for $10 but i don't think you want to bring it up to me in northern mi. If you have any left adhesive use your thumb or a white eraser and rub it dry, should take it right off.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

ive tried rubbing the adhesive off and its so stuck to the car that my nail WONT even take it off, i got agressive with it is the prob, i might have someone look at it. if i lived in northern WI i would take it to ya. but i live in western WI. darn.... btw what does rubbing alcohol do to paint? would that remove the adhesive?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of heat did you use?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

hair dryer is what i used.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

A hair dryer isn't going to put off nearly enough heat. Leaving your car in the sun puts out more heat! When people say to use heat we mean heat guns. I've debadge about 10 cars and using fishing wire and then buffing have never had an issue. Other than older cars sometimes the paint will be sun faded and under the badge looks new. Try a heat gun if you have access if it's just the sticky stuff left don't use anything rough it will jack the clear. You can use some thinner on a rag and see if it will work but you have to do it carefully as to not remove the clear.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Not a big deal man, don't freak out. The magic eraser is what did you in. I'd try some polishing compound and a good wax/cleaner to try to get some shine back in it. If that doesn't work you're gonna have to take it to a body shop and have them take a buffer/polisher to the trunk.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

ill prob take it to a body shop and get aquote cause im not skilled in body work at all. i only know engine stuff.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah if it's that bad a body shop might be able to save it! If you were closer I'd say bring it to our bodyshop and we'd have ya in and out but your a bit far away lol!

VV that's a heat gun

Old 03-16-2012, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

yea lol i just dont have a heat gun. i ended up using citrus clenaer to get the sticky off finally, didnt hurt the paint at all, or anymore than what its at lol

Quick Reply: debadging issues