B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

CV Buzz

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:16 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default CV Buzz

So i recently had to have my rack and left inner/outer boots plus outer joint replaced. I have noticed a real quick buzz right at about 1500 rpms and i figured its not something vibrating cause it only happens when i pull away in first gear, not when i rev in neutraland not even if i pull away in 2nd gear only in 1st gear pulling away. The sound seems to be coming from the inner part of the CV area and i took it to a tech but all he said was that it was some piece of something vibrating against the underside of the car. I cannot find anything loosely touching any part of the car in that area and plus something that vibrates would usually show up just by reving the engine. that doesnt happen though. what do you all think it could be? it kind of hard to look under the car since it has to be going about 7mph for it to happen.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Administrator
Default RE: CV Buzz

Since the boots were worked on, I'd check around them (ditto for the rack). On my 2.8 there is a shield of sorts over the inner boots, where the axles bolt to the diff. It is bolted to the diff and goes approximately halfway around the axle on the topside (above it),blocking the engine and components above the axle, almost like a scatter shield intended to protect the car if the axle broke. If your car had the boots worked on, it's possible the shield was removed to give a little more room, and then not tightened properly (there are three bolts holding it on, and the top one is completely impossible to see and not much easier to mess with - if it's not tight, it could easily cause a buzz).

Old 05-16-2008, 01:21 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ok sweet thanks, ill check it out today

Old 05-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Administrator

I hope that's it. I started taking the shields off but the top bolt was too much of a pain, and I found that by using 2 feet of extensions, I could remove each axle mounting bolt from the wheelwell with no problem, so I scrapped the idea of removing the shields, reinstalled the two bolts that I had taken out, and finished the job. If someone else tried that idea, they may have forgotten to rebolt the shield. It may be a long shot, but it's worth a look. From under the car, you'll be able to see two of the bolts (just ahead and just behind the location of the inner CV boot), and if they're both in there and tight, chances are it's not your issue. Make sure that all six axle bolts are secure though - if they're loose, they could cause the buzzing...and a crash. Each pair of bolts has a small bracket between them, pinned in place beneath the heads of the bolts (you'll see what I mean when you get in there) - if the bolts aren't fully tight, one of those might be buzzing, although they're pretty small and I'm not sure you'd hear them from inside the car.

You should also remove your front wheels and inspect all your suspension joints too - any that were loosened or opened up may not be tight, and you could also take a look at your brakes to make sure there's no improper contact between parts of the brakes and other parts in the wheelwells.