B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Crunchy Gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Crunchy Gears

Anyone know what might be causing "crunchiness" when shifting between first and second gear, and what I can do if anything to fix it? Its a 99 2.8L manual. (I have a short sifter installed if that makes any difference)

-THANKS!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Administrator

You're gonna have to elaborate on "crunchiness". Is it like a resistance when shifting? Or does it take some wiggling to get the shifter into gear? I'm not sure what you mean...

Old 01-30-2009, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

It doesnt want to go into second gear very easily (takes some force) and isnt very smooth when it does, it is most noticable in the winter and when the engine is cold. Once the engine warms up it is definately better but still noticable. The same thing happens when Im downshifting into second or first gear under the same conditions.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:42 PM

Have you ever changed your transmission fluid? If not I would suggest you do and see if that helps.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

I have not. I thought that might help aswell. I called audi and they told me that it would not help my problem and that it might make it worse for some reason, I dont know why. They said that my transmission would need to be torn apart or swapped to fix the problem. There is a DIY article on here that I read for a Tranny fluid change and he said that his shifts are smoother now, so maybe its worth a shot.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 PM
3rd Gear

Check the trans fluid. If it's low or ugly, change it. It won't always solve the issue, but sometimes you can squeeze a few more miles out of it. Look for leaks while you're under there. Most common are the axle seals.

The resistance/grinding sensation is blocking rings/syncros. You'll likely need a trans rebuild, but a used swap might be the less expensive way to go, or at least less of a headache.

If it still happens after changing the fluid, you can double clutch and rev-match, but it's only a matter of time before you need to fix it.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Legal Moderator

i got the same exact problem and tried the fluid change with no luck. it did get a little worse even. if the trans is cold, i doulbe clutch and it works a lot better, but as far as i know my synchros are worn out. i either want to swap it or get it rebuilt. i dont think there is any other way around it

Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

K, thanks for the info. Could any of this be caused by installing an aftermarket shifter? Or is it just something that can happen over time.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:13 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mzo0163
K, thanks for the info. Could any of this be caused by installing an aftermarket shifter? Or is it just something that can happen over time.
If your short-throw is improperly adjusted and causes you to miss shifts, then yes. Other issues that cause syncros to wear out are time, low fluid due to leaks, old fluid, pulling back on the shifter or resting the weight of your arm on it while driving, or missing shifts during those stop-light races.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 PM
5th Gear

most likely its your 1st-2nd synchro, if it only happens in that gear. If trans fluid or misalignment of the short shifter were the culprit it should happen in all gears. if you try and take it to a shop they will rape your wallet. its labor intensive but not rocket science. grab a service manual and free up a weekend. The part is relatively cheap.

Quick Reply: Crunchy Gears