B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

crazy understeer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:35 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, ebraking and kicking the rear end out is the last thing you want for auto-x. The more traction you loose the slower times you're going to turn. Now if you're just wanting to hang the rear end out a little around a corner to impress the ladies, I have no room to judge you. (secret: neither does anyone else)

Anyways, get yourself an upgraded rear swaybar. I have Neuspeed and it really helps the feel of the car. Having a stiffer rear suspension will help you kick the tail out a little.

*DISCLAIMER* SVT_BRYAN does not support reckless driving or ricer style and antics. But I dont think anyone here can say that a little spirited driving doesnt put a smile on face.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:31 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by peep
i was in an old abandoned parking lot and i was trying to get my car sideways. i couldn't do it to save my life.

i tried swinging one way, then steering the other to try to get the back end loose, then gassing it, but that didn't work at all.

do our cars just naturally understeer? i really do feel like i'm driving a fwd car unless i get into the dirt or snow.

and is there anything i can do to fix this? i plan on taking my car to autox events in the near future, and understeer is a pet-peeve of mine.
Stop beating on your car.

These car do have a slight understeer and there is a slight dead spot in the center of the steering. It's supposed to be a luxury feel. If you don't like it, get a VW. The Quattro is an amazing system and I suggest you read up on it. In my opinion it's the best AWD system and it's especially amazing in the rain and snow. With the Quattro system it is hard to break the wheels free because of your stock power. Your car will be perfect for Auto-X because of the Quattro and I suggest you take it to the track and run it before you change anything. You don't put your car sideways during Auto-X. I do recommend new shocks, sway bars and upgraded endlinks.

Originally Posted by BrianJanice
Quattro is made so the tires don't slip. Try doing the differential mod to get more power to the rear wheels... you'll get an 80%/20% power distribution to the back/front instead of the current 60%/40% you have with the stock setup
B5 ratio is 50%/50%

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
it's what quattro was made for, sticking to the pavement...
+1

Quattro for the win. Take your car to Auto-X and have fun, but don't beat on it for no reason.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 AM
2nd Gear

So, if you want your car to handle better, feel tighter and get rid of some of that understeer, you mentioned you already had H&Rs...get upgraded sport shocks (i.e. Bilstein), front and rear sway bars (i.e. Hotchkis), along with upgraded front and rear endlinks.

Happy handling.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:49 AM

Yeah, I'll probably just buy some front and rear sway bars, take it autoxing, and see where I'm at from there.

I don't know, maybe there's something wrong with my car, but it definitely feels like the wheels break free and I just slide forward... I'll have to post up a video or something. I watch videos on youtube of "stock" b5s autoxing and stuff, and sometimes they oversteer. My car could NEVER do that.

So I don't know. I just recently got the car, I'm going to change all the oils and tranny fluids and do general maintenance as soon as I get my next check. Maybe that could help a bit too.

Maybe sometime later this week I'll record a video of what I'm talking about...

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:01 AM
1st Gear

Oh I totally mean what you get by the understeer. I went from all rwd cars( 944, 240sx's, rx7, miata) to my audi and the understeer is more prevalent now. I used to work at a race fab shop for spec miata, rx7, and bmw.

I know during mountain driving in my s14 I used to have a problem still with understeer with the diff I was running, it didn't lock right and tended to only spin one tire in some hairpins causing adverse handling. I know changing the diff oil helped lock it a little better as it was a vlsd. Im not sure what diff you have but it helps for that to lock under acceleration along with more power going to the back. So like they said sway bar in the rear is your cheapest option as it is the cheapest and easiest. Then the diff mod.

Also, in your driving style, weight transfer is an important part of driving and learning how to treat your car. Valuable seconds are lost in racing when someone understeers or even oversteers too much on a track. Due to the response time of a driver to a corner a car can do either. A move called the Scandinavian flick (weight transfer) will help you to get a awd car sideways. Youtube that ****. Ive seen many people at the track throw their fwd cars sideways without even touching the ebrake.

Im all for driving your car how it was supposed to be. I think if you fix your own car, you know the risks and responsibilities with the driving style you take. Some people are afraid to beat on our cars because they are pretty, but if you are the one thats gonna work on it, more power to you that you're doing this in a parking lot or at autox then on the street. I know I got busted for street drifting a long time ago too many times, so I got out of that scene. I still hit up the track when I want though.

And yes you can pull the ebrake. It is a valuable tool that you should always be ready to use as much as your steering wheel or pedals. It is the only way to correct from understeer besides turning less.

So hey, I know this is audi forums, not nissan land. But give the kid a break, he fixes his own ****. So if he breaks it, he fixes it.

Last edited by Desert Fox; 07-07-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:08 AM
1st Gear

Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Alright I'll be a little nice and mention Tires matter! All season tires wont grip as much as a street/race tire!

Maybe should be my next sig...

Last edited by chocalotstarfish; 07-07-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
Alright I'll be a little nice and mention Tires matter! All season tires wont grip as much as a street/race tire!

Maybe should be my next sig...
how do you set photo sigs? I tried and selected a pic and it won't show a pic,when i post on threads

Old 07-07-2010, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jmgrande
B5 ratio is 50%/50%
From what I understand, this is under 'normal' conditions. When cornering, Quattro applies more torque to the front wheels because they are rotating more than the rear (they are traveling a greater distance) which is most certainly why peep feels as though he is driving a FWD car. Apparently I was wrong, but I think it should be 33%/67% front/rear.

I'm pretty sure Quattro is more than just hooking up two axels to the same power source and making them spin; believe it or not, it's adaptive.

Or you can tell all the torsen people at AZ they are wrong at this thread:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-with-pictures

Oh, and also read about Quattro on Wikipedia

Old 07-07-2010, 09:04 AM
5th Gear

you're doing it wrong. just keep the wheel turned and floor it. our cars do understeer a lot but that doesn't mean you can't kick the rear end out. a stiff RSB will help too. i can tell you for sure you won't understeer nearly as much if you got a B8 ; ). also if you rip the e brake in the at all, you'll eventually blow up the center diff.

Quick Reply: crazy understeer?