B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Crazy Oversteer!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Crazy Oversteer!

Driving around a wet corner today, hardly on the gas, taking it no faster than I would in any car by any means, my *** just came out ALOT, and I almost went into other lanes. I noticed it doing this on even small corners, if I take them a bit quick I can feel the back end start to come out.

Any help on this? Pretty much stock '97 1.8T.
I thought we understeered!

Old 06-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Default RE: Crazy Oversteer!

we do understeer.....massively

are you quattro or FWD?

when it's wet anything can happen....depending on the grit of the pavement when it's moderately wet out it's easy to get slideways....

I was hoping to hear that you just got some sways and did some canyon drifting....lol

well....what you are describing is normal....when its wet out we can easily get the a$$ loose through the turns....

Old 06-04-2008, 12:26 AM
1st Gear

If it feel sout of whack on dry pavement, check your rear sway bars and their bushings and brackets. I'm making an assumption that you're a quattro car. were you on a fresh tank of fuel? blacktop or asphalt?

they all make a differance, but if something feels out on dry pavement, get the car up, and just start checking swaybar endlink, plates, ect...

odds are, it was just wet pavement and a heavy foot...

-Ryan

Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 AM
4th Gear

if you give even a little bit of gas and the surface is less than ideal the quattro will send more power to the rear and the *** will come out, i do every now and then if anything it lets me a know that quattro is working and lets face it, if you do it right is badass

Old 06-04-2008, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

Definitely quattro. And it was pretty sick. It was a huge 3/4 of a circle turn, the guy behind me must of thought I was ******* crazy.
It was asphalt, and wet.. half tank of gas, if that matters.
I do notice if I do a corner and hit the gas I can get the back end out when it's wet, I just thought it was a problem.
I'll check again on dry, but I doubt she has enough power to do it.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:04 AM
2nd Gear

Check your front sway bar, not the back. Loosening the front sway bar will give you more oversteer, as will stiffening the back. make sure one of your linkages didn't break

Old 06-04-2008, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

My Quattro sticks like glue.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear

Mine pushes well before it whips the back out... How do you stiffen or loosen the sway bars, do you mean the sway bar links or the bar itself?&nbsp\\; I wouldnt mind trying to get it to prefer to oversteer...

Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 PM
5th Gear

my rear hardly ever goes out on dry asphalt. even when doing 25 at 90° it just understeers. only time i've ever had the rear kick out is in the snow or on ice. rain hasn't been an issue either even when it first starts to pour. just plain understeer all the time for me lol

Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah dry asphault is impossible, rain it feels pretty neutral from what i remeber it was hard to get it to oversteer i think it mostly understeers though and in snow and ice, it pushes at first then give a little more gas and it come out. I really wish it was the otherway around its so much more controllable... and fun. Speaking of which i was watching some R8 thing on youttube and they were saying how they changed the quattro setup so it favors the rear instead, i wonder what the rs6 and stuff are like...

Quick Reply: Crazy Oversteer!