B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Crankshaft pulley bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Crankshaft pulley bolts

Hey guys

So I'm taking my baby apart so I can service the belts and I'm noticing that the idiot who serviced this car before me apparently used imperial tools on a metric car as most of the bolts I've come accross are rounded/stripped to a certain extent, ugh I'm so pissed. Anyway I ran into a bit of a problem when I got to removing the crankshaft pulley as three out of the four 7mm bolts are impossible to remove, they're all rounded off.

My questions for you guys is,

- How can I remove those bolts? Is there a special tool for them since they're socket-type?
- Anyone know a place where can I get replacement bolts? The stealership wants $5 a piece!

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-19-2009, 02:42 AM
Legal Moderator

as for question numero uno, drill a small hole in the center and get an easy out. either that or grab a vise grips and give er hell!
second question, get the bolt specs and go to local hardware store. it sucks finding replacment bolts but if the thread fits thats all that counts

Old 05-19-2009, 02:52 AM
4th Gear

Sorry, dont have an 1.8T, are these hex head or allen?

You could always drill the heads off then spray with PB and remove with vise-grips after you pull the pully off.. plenty of room then.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:24 AM
3rd Gear

that pully is only about 1mm thick, drilling the heads off would be a bad idea. hit the bolts with some PB blaster (penetrating oil) overnight and then either try the easy-out thing, or cut a slot in the middle and try it with a flat screwdriver.

idk if these are the bolts you need, but they have others as well
http://www.034motorsport.com/product...roducts_id=229

Old 05-19-2009, 12:24 PM
4th Gear

Hmm.. with only gaining 1mm or so, ya, not worth taking the chance of screwing it up.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

Mine where in so tight I twisted my 6mm hex driver trying to get them out. Heat the bastards up red hot with a propane torch and try again before you totally strip out the hex socket. Mine came right out after heating them. soory I thought you had a 1.8T.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
as for question numero uno, drill a small hole in the center and get an easy out. either that or grab a vise grips and give er hell!
second question, get the bolt specs and go to local hardware store. it sucks finding replacment bolts but if the thread fits thats all that counts
Tried the easy out and the damn thing broke off, now I got an easy out head stuck inside the bolt.

I've tried vise-grips to no end but they just don't get enough grip on the round bolt.

I'm so pissed off, I've been held up for 3 days trying to get these bastards out.

I already got replacements from the dealership (50 cents each, they priced the wrong ones)

If you got any other suggestions I'm all ears bro, I'm getting desperate as my tool-rental time is running out.

Thank you for trying to help anyway!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Sorry, dont have an 1.8T, are these hex head or allen?

You could always drill the heads off then spray with PB and remove with vise-grips after you pull the pully off.. plenty of room then.
They were 6mm hex, now they're just 6+mm round pieces of junk, lol.

I also thought of drilling the heads off but the other member just pointed it not to be a good idea.

Thank you anyway man, any other ideas?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
that pully is only about 1mm thick, drilling the heads off would be a bad idea. hit the bolts with some PB blaster (penetrating oil) overnight and then either try the easy-out thing, or cut a slot in the middle and try it with a flat screwdriver.

idk if these are the bolts you need, but they have others as well
http://www.034motorsport.com/product...roducts_id=229
What can I cut the hole in there with?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Mine where in so tight I twisted my 6mm hex driver trying to get them out. Heat the bastards up red hot with a propane torch and try again before you totally strip out the hex socket. Mine came right out after heating them. soory I thought you had a 1.8T.
Wait... Did you heat up the bolts or the pulley??? If you heat up the bolts, wouldn't that cause them to expand and thus make it even harder to pull them off??? I mean, I know it worked for you but I'm trying to figure how, lol.

The sockets on 3 of my bolts (1 came out no problem) are completely rounded off... They were 80% rounded off when I got to them (I really wanna meet whoever did the job so I can punch him in the gut)... So even if I do heat em up and they get loose, what can I use to take em out?

Quick Reply: Crankshaft pulley bolts