B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

cracked skid plate? can't tell cause the dieselgeek skid plate is in the way.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:50 PM
1st Gear
Default cracked skid plate? can't tell cause the dieselgeek skid plate is in the way.

I remember driving in downtown Phoenix last night and hitting a speed bump rather roughly and bottoming out in my lowered B5 avant. Not to worry though, that aluminum skid plate from diesel geek surely will prevent my oil pan from being destroyed. I was very close to my apartment so there was very little drive time between bottoming out and parking for the night and the drive home was fine, everything was running smooth.

As I load up my car this morning with every intention to get my 2 flat bicycle tires fixed, I notice a pool of liquid underneath my car. Upon further inspection I come to the conclusion that it is the mobile one synthetic motor oil I use in my audi (it was pretty clean).

The skid plate covers the oil pan, making it impossible to confirm my suspision that it is cracked. From the skid plate though, oil is still slowly dripping. At this point I am crossing my fingers hoping it is only the a cracked oil pan and not something worse. And I have no tools or jack stands, so I am going to need to either get friend to come over and help me out with this, or get her towed somewhere.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

:s sounds scary. good luck, and try to do as much diy as possible to save yourself some cash from stealerships or shops!

most auto parts stores sell jack stands for about 20-40 bucks, and a good jack for about 100, its good to have those in your garage anyway for future problems.

good luck!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

Yeah this is a good excuse to buy some tools. I need to get a low profile jack. Found a promising one on craigslist for cheap. Replacing an oil pan on this car looks fairly simple.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I slammed pretty hard today going over some train tracks @ 50... So I parked it over a white mat and will see later if I cracked it or not. I have a real good feeling I did cuz I slammed it!

Old 08-22-2010, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

Sucks. Any idea where to find an oil pan for cheap? mjm autohaus?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:14 PM
3rd Gear

Damn, I've bottomed out BRUTALLY in Boston once. I legitimately though I broke multiple things on my car at once. But nope, everything was fine. These cars can handle quite the beating. You should be fine Don, I hit what was like a speedbump doing maybe 35, so 50 over train tracks shouldn't be any different. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Slut

I'd say its safe to assume you cracked your oil pan. And you have quite the eye if you can see oil on the ground and tell that its Mobil 1

Old 08-22-2010, 10:25 PM
3rd Gear

If he put mobil 1 in... then mobil 1 will come out...

Old 08-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Actual WIZARD

Honestly, I might blame the skid plate. Its "harder" than the standard plate, so it may have hit it hard enough. Last winter, I hit a ice patch at 40 and spun the car around backwards, slamming into a curb and onto the median, and besides the alignment being way off, the car was fine. Skid plate took a beating though,

Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

I really should get a skid plate... Open bottom ftl...

Quick Reply: cracked skid plate? can't tell cause the dieselgeek skid plate is in the way.