B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

couple questions on future setup...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by mexican47
yeah pretty much what everyone else said!!
which reminds me. cone filters dont really help turbo'ed engines right?? specially audi!!
but i've heard that its still a good idea cuz (well first of all it just sound cool lol) it picks up colder air and prolongues turbo life! is this true??
More air is always better for a turbo engine. The reason that people are against the cone filter is because on a stock turbo the stock airbox is more efficetive as it is designed to be a ram air setup (this is why it gets air from above the radiator on the front of the car)

The main reason that a cone filter is not good is that the turbo sits right next to the filter and creates LOTS of heat, so you would just be pulling in hot air. Now if you get a proper heat shield to seperate the intake from the turbo then you will be fine.

See example.
Name:  IMG_6374.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  83.7 KB

I would have to agree with Mike, unless you are running a clutch that is for racing and too stiff, there is no such thing and too much power for a daily driver.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:42 PM
4th Gear

Only clutch I would never suggest for a straight daily driver is a twin plate. I drove my super stiff 4800 lbs dual diaphram 6 puck setup as a daily driver and had no problem with it.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Legal Moderator

alrighty, sounds like sb stage 3 is the winner for the clutch. as for the cone filter, i would definately fashion some sort of cold induction system. would running a vr6 maf housing help at all?

Old 05-02-2009, 10:47 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
alrighty, sounds like sb stage 3 is the winner for the clutch. as for the cone filter, i would definately fashion some sort of cold induction system. would running a vr6 maf housing help at all?
No it wont unless the tune is designed for the VR6 maf. If you just change to a larger maf you will throw off all of the fueling and adv timing maps, bad things happen when you do that.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Just out of curiosity, why were you inclined to go with SMIC rather than FMIC?

Old 05-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by CCA4
Just out of curiosity, why were you inclined to go with SMIC rather than FMIC?
just kinda wanna keep the car looking stock. im all down for modding vehicles, however this is my only car and dont really wanna go all out as it is a dd. i have considered getting a second cheap b5 to mod all the way and go bt, but i cant justify the cost. plus, i dont really see the need to go fmic with stock turbo. on the other hand, that kit that mike posted is quite appealing, especially since it says it will fit w/o modifications to the bumper. all of these mods wouldnt go in till about july or august, so there is still time to decide on the specifics.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:01 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
just kinda wanna keep the car looking stock. im all down for modding vehicles, however this is my only car and dont really wanna go all out as it is a dd. i have considered getting a second cheap b5 to mod all the way and go bt, but i cant justify the cost. plus, i dont really see the need to go fmic with stock turbo. on the other hand, that kit that mike posted is quite appealing, especially since it says it will fit w/o modifications to the bumper. all of these mods wouldnt go in till about july or august, so there is still time to decide on the specifics.
Actually the FMIC works great for a K03 because boost levels when chipped just make the small K03 blow hot air. The FMIC brings those temps back down to abient which is something the SMIC's just cant do.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Legal Moderator

ok had a really interesting conversation with a local performance shop today that is a apr dealer. of course he was trying to pitch me apr exhaust when i said i wanted a custom exhaust, but he was trying to tell me that the hi-flow mani and cat will basically do nothing for me and that the stock dual mass flywheel is only good to 120k and that if i get a different clutch i would need to get a aftermarket flywheel and a sprung disk. does he hold any merit?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 AM
4th Gear

The flywheel doesnt have a mileage life span, it does have a life span but it matters on how it is used. At some point the springs in the flywheel well start to give which reduces how much resistance there is between the 2 pieces. Most people end up going with a single mass flywheel because they don't cost nearly as much as a new stock flywheel and you basically get the same effect from a sprung disk.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 AM
2nd Gear

let me guess... you talked to justin at evolution street and performance?? i hear he does good work... but is very overpriced... like he told me my timing belt job would be $1200-1400 if i did the whole kit with water pump and all... pretty weak if you ask me... but other than that ive gone to him for coil packs and random things. very knowledgeable

Quick Reply: couple questions on future setup...