B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

couple questions on future setup...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Legal Moderator
Default couple questions on future setup...

a little background, i got a call yesterday and found out i will prolly be gettin my summer job back so i may have some extra cash by the end of the summer which means time to mod. i am not gonna go crazy, just improve on the stock design on a few things. i plan on getting...
cone filter-would running a vr6 maf housing make a difference?
samco tip-would this even be needed?
forge 007
smic-only one i can find is for b6. is that one easily adaptable to b5, is there one made for b5 with stock fitmant?
atp hi flow mani
hi flow cat-my state doesnt have emissions so i could run a test pipe, but i wanna avoid cel's. do the hi flow cats throw any codes on a regular basis?
custom exhaust-will get this done at a local shop and would like it to be resonated. should i go with 2.25 or 2.5?
software would be just speedtuning software unless anybody else thinks something else would work better with this setup. would it be worth my while to run tt225 injectors? if so who makes a good program for it?
im sure you can tell the major theme of this setup would be letting the engine flow more air. if you think anything else would make the setup better, go ahead and let me hear it. and in case your wondering and didnt see my avatar, its a 01 tqm.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:51 PM
2nd Gear

*Idk if you would want to run a cone filter, it would not improve your flow (so 'they' say) if anything it would decrease it slightly.. but you would be whistlin like mad which would be cool...
*someone i know got a forge 004 and really likes the sound, go with forge youll be happy
*why do you want a smic? why not go with a fmic they look really nice, especially on a black car!
*for the exhaust i got my borla done at exhaust pros for like $60 i think it was... thought that was reasonable! i have magnaflow now, which i like better to be honest, and am runnign a resonator on that, it sounds really nice, not tooo loud daily driving but when you get on it is when i like it the best (obv) and i got 2.5" on that, idk why i just told them 2.5
*i have speedtuning, and love it, havent had any problems ever
*i think our injectors throw enough gas into the engine... so i think adding tt injectors would give you the same results as normal ones (definitely dont quote me on that, just an assumption) and idk if the software would need to be tweaked or anything...

if you were ever planning on going BT ever, i personally think you should just start doing supporting mods for that, so when you have the money throw an elim kit on or something you wont be double dippin on what youve spent money one... so just do like fmic and test pipe, and save your other money from the tune and exhaust for when you get that! (youll want 3" or so when you go big, and software for the setup you get)

if you end up getting any of this stuff let me know i want to watch / help ( if you need /want it) with the testpipe or HFC install

Old 04-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Legal Moderator

-yah kinda want the sound but the cone filter isnt a must
-i wouldnt go the route of 004, too much noise. it wouldnt be fast enough
-would like a smic to keep it looking stock. a fmic would be cool, but less stock looking and would require a bit of fabrication.
-since i would be having an exhaust system custom made, i would just have them throw in the cat and mani while they're at it. figure it would be easier.
the likelyhood of me going bt isn't likely but the biggest i would go would be gtrs. the nice thing would be all these mods would compliment a k04 or gtrs quite well. i would only need software and the turbo after all this.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:51 PM
2nd Gear

very true- biggest id ever go would be gtrs too, nice dd. id like to ride in someones car who has one!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:58 AM

the cone filter wont make a difference performance wise because audis stock intake works like ram air which is very effective a cone filter will only change the sound and i would go with a 2.5 inch exhaust and with a monza resonator tip it will give you that sound u want and if your taking it to a shop to have the exhaust done (im assuming it comes out on the rear driver side) have them relocate the exhaust to shoot strait back along the passenger side cause this will make it flow more freely and while ur at it a new diverter valve would be good to put on because it is cheap and will perform much better than the stock one but i cant stress enough that you dont want to put a bov on because it will make all the other money you put into it worthless and why do that when your putting hundreds of dollars into your car to have it ruined by a part that costs less than 50 dollars

Old 05-01-2009, 02:02 AM
Site Moderator

other than the cone filter, i think you have some pretty good ideas in mind already. the cone filter wont help performance. you could, however, put a K&N or similar type filter in your airbox, or swiss-cheese mod it. that'd be the most effective thing for your engine.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:29 AM

yeah pretty much what everyone else said!!
which reminds me. cone filters dont really help turbo'ed engines right?? specially audi!!
but i've heard that its still a good idea cuz (well first of all it just sound cool lol) it picks up colder air and prolongues turbo life! is this true??

Old 05-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Legal Moderator

alright i get the idea, no cone filter. but i did forget to mention what clutch to use with this setup. im sure a stage 1 would be fine, but plan on doing a few 5k launches, so would you recommend a stage2 or 3? i know the 3 might be a little overkill, but it would leave the door open for a future gtrs...

Old 05-02-2009, 01:43 AM

if you can do it a stage 3 would be better for launching and i like where your head is thinking about future mods do a stage 3 now and save some money down the road by not having to upgrade again

Old 05-02-2009, 09:56 AM
4th Gear

You wont find much for an aftermarket SMIC kit and most of them cost nearly as much as a FMIC. If you want stock looking you can just have a FMIC anodized black so no one will notice it unless they are really looking for it. For what your looking for a racetec woudl do just fine and cost $790 + shipping and I could see how much it would cost to have it anodized black. Another option would be an ER Comp FMIC kit which can be ordered in black at no extra cost, but it does not fit behind the stock A4 bumper.

Originally Posted by redline380
alright i get the idea, no cone filter. but i did forget to mention what clutch to use with this setup. im sure a stage 1 would be fine, but plan on doing a few 5k launches, so would you recommend a stage2 or 3? i know the 3 might be a little overkill, but it would leave the door open for a future gtrs...
If you plan on launching the car you want to run as much clutch as possible and there is no such thing as "over kill" but only not enough clutch. For launching you would want a SB stage 3 for a chip or K04 setup, for a GTRS I would suggest a CM stage 3 for a daily driver but for launching a CM Stage 4 with the 6 puck disk or SB DXD stage 4 since they are designed for launching the car.

Here are the SB and CM clutch kits I offer If you are looking for a clutch/flywheel package let me know because I offer a "forum member" special on CM fx300/400 with a billet steel flywheel at a very nice discount.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 05-02-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: couple questions on future setup...