B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:13 PM
1st Gear
Default couple questions

So i read some where but cant seem to find it again. a diverter valve is what i should be looking at rather a BOV? why is this? asking cause im looking at a chip here soon and i need to replave this due to the up in boost correct? also i heard that these cars dont take well to a K&N filter??? WHATTTT... is this true?

Old 05-17-2010, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

My understanding:

Yes you need a DV, not a BOV. The audi turbo system is recircualtory and the DV accomplishes this. A BOV exhausts to the atmosphere and will thro off your sensors that are expecting recirculated gas to the system.

For B5 model, as I understand it, yes, you need to upgrade your DV to accomodate the chip.

The only stories I have ever heard about bad experience with K&N have all been second and third hand internet stories. Most times indicating that dudes have over oiled them when cleaning and slapped them back in there sopping (as opposed to following the directions on the box.) I have run K&N in a Jetta before, and my A4 now, cleaned it recently. Have never had any issues. ymmv.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 PM
1st Gear

awsome. thank you sir. forge DV im guessing is one of the better ones to go with? and for a chip, is it GIAC? hear that was one of the better ones for the b5.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:09 PM
2nd Gear

No reason to go K&N. If you really want a better (long lasting) air filter then go Amsoil.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

I went with the bailey diverter valve from AWE but the Forge ones are great too. And as far as chips go it doesn't really matter. its all opinion kinda. I did research and just went with GIAC cause their a well known brand. Hope this helps out.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

everyone seem to like the forge DV.

GIAC and APR seem to be the chip of preference around here too... Hard to go wrong if you go with what a majority concensus on here.

I have APR.

Last edited by SlackJaw; 05-17-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

I think that most of the problems that are reported with K&N filters are from people that remove their airbox and put an oiled cone filter right on the end of the intake. Too close to the MAF sensor and oil from the filter gets sucked in and fouls the MAF. You can always use a dry style filter if you are worried.

I have a K&N panel filter in my stock air box with no problems.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

soo. i popped the hood on my car today in the garage with intentions of taking stuff apart and learning a bit........... then saw how crowded it was and thought id save it for a day i dont have work the next morning. haha seems like to get to the thing you want 2 other items must be removed. AWESOME haha...
anyway thanks guys. im stating to look into it all.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Guru

ok, since you are an 01 you can run a bov if you want... your car will learn that you are using it cause of yor maf and map sensor... but you also have the option of the stratosphere dv

as for tune, i used to have apr(same power as giac, less agressive) but you also have the choice of unitune or eurodyne.... if you plan on going b/t i would not go apr or giac unless someone is selling it cheap in the classifieds

Old 05-17-2010, 08:03 PM
2nd Gear

I put a K&N filter in, brand new out of the box, and didn't even oil it, and the damn thing killed my MAF sensor. Do a search, over a dozen people on here told me not to use K&N.

However, that MAF might of been crap, because I'm running it again on a new MAF with no problems. So far....

I somehow have dumped 2300 into appearance mods and I'm not even done. So skip that **** and go straight to horsepower.

Quick Reply: couple questions