B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Couple problems!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Site Moderator
Default Couple problems!

Now that I've revived my car (2000, I don't have the 97 anymore) with control arms, wheel bearings, and brakes, I'm starting to pay attention to the little things... Such as..

Stock symphony radio is stuck in safe mode. When I hold the PSCAN and RBDS buttons (as the manual states,) "0000" is not displayed so that I can enter the unlock code. It's stuck on "SAFE." Fuses are good. Anyone ever come accross this?

Passenger side brake light doesn't work. The bulb is good, and I even tried a new one. It's dual filament. The parking light part works in the bulb, but not the brake. I've wiggled wires, and cleaned the contacts. Nothing. I'm thinking maybe it's the brake light switch as from what I remember- this could be a symptom, but there isn't a fault for it.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:53 PM
2nd Gear

is there the bulb display on your dash for a bulb out?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Site Moderator

Yes there is. BRAKE LIGHT shows up in yellow on the center hud... Not the red E-brake BRAKE light at the speedo (well I have that too but it's because of the abs control module.) Now I'm thinking it's a bad ground.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 07-26-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:07 AM
2nd Gear

pull out that trusty volt/ohm meter. do the running lights work on that side?
It might possibly be a bad ground. during the restoration of my buddys 76 mini, we had issues like this and turned out to be a bad ground.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

I don't think its your brake light switch cause if it was bad, none of your brake lights would work, including your middle ones.....i would check your contacts with a voltmeter @ watever terminal corresponds to the actual brake light, have a buddy press the brakes and where you get 12v for brakes on the driver side, check the same for the passenger side. if you get 12v, then you theory might be right about ground but you would know its at the light assembly...if you dont....have fun hunting!!!!! damn electronics :P

Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Site Moderator

I've been on the hunt for my volt meter for months... Don't really want to buy another one, it'll turn up. I'm going to try to use a wire and externaly ground it to the chasis in the trunk and see what happens. I agree about the brake light switch symptoms not being on par- now that I've refreshed myself.

Teeter- Without tearing up my car to find out (lost my Bently manual CD) do you know where the wiring goes to from the tail light, or where it can be unplugged from?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:39 AM
2nd Gear

I believe there should be plugs on the back of the tail light, remove the back peice as if you where swapping a bulb and I think the connection point is on there. but if it was a bad ground wouldn't the entire tail light be out and not just the brake?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Site Moderator

haa yeah yeah I know that, I'm saying where is the opposite end of the tail light wiring harness? Each bulb has it's own ground- at least until it reaches the wiring harness. So if it is a bad ground it may just be within the bulb housing itself - ya know the metal strips on the inside?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 AM
2nd Gear

ohhh, sorry bro. I don't know where the opposite end of the tail light harness is. I will have an answer for you tomorrow though. you really need a voltmeter for this, would make your life soo much easier. the analog ones are like 9 bucks.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Site Moderator

Yeah just trying to get some feedback until daytime when I am more motivated. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Couple problems!