B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Couple noobesque questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by zandrew
I am now officaally banging my head into the wall with the FPR issue. When you look at the AWE kit it states that the 5.0 regulator comes with it. No where does it contradict that the PC16 upgrade comes with the 3.0 BAR but it does come with the different injectors. You can actually buy it in two parts. The PC16 upgrade states larger fuel injectors and more aggressive tune but no change in FPR. Too my knowledge the stock FPR is 4.0 and the one offered is 5.0. No where does it state FPR of of 3.0.

I bought an adjustable unit to drop in though.

I know I need to upgrade my tune. I actually stated just that but I am on the fence as to which route to take. I would prefer the Maestro setup as it has VAG com like capabilities and can be tailored to whatever I do later on. I also like the idea of dropping in a tune and it running with that. The injectors I was going to swap in are marginally larger then what I have now.

As for EGT's and ideal AFR's I have always been under the impression that 11's are overkill and around 12 is best. I am sure this changes which each motors DNA but the majority of Dyno's I have looked at show target AFR to be in the 11.5-12'ish range. Some EGT is good for spool which it looks like he could use a bit of but I think I saw where he is using 2.25" exhaust and am wondering if that is why his spool is slower.

So why didn't you just go to the GIAC web site where it states exactly what hardware is needed?

1999 - 1996 B5 A4 ® w/ K04-15 Turbo Upgrade 1.8T PC16custom 31lb inj. FMIC 3bar FPR
The info on the PC16 is all over the forums since that tune has been out for over 10 years. A simple question to AWE when you bought the PC16 tune would have gotten those answers seeing that the PC16 tune was something Garrett at GIAC did as a custom tune for Todd the owner of AWE.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 02-11-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

OK I guess this going over some members heads. I have the K04 AWE kit and have removed the K04 015 turbo and replaced it with a much larger K04 turbo. This turbo is causing me problems since the PC16 upgrade will not handle it. Everywhere I have looked I found that it is stated it uses 5 bar FPR. Now to further the dilema my injectors are not red tops and this is the exact kit from AWE. So moving on to my obvious issues; This tune is not working at all with my current K04. MY AFR's are **** at best. Since there is misleading information on this setup I was asking what the fuel pressure is from people that have used it.

My options are limited to changing to a one size fits most tune like United motorsports or unitronic, Maestro, or a piggy back like the AEM FIC (which I already have). Of these I am liking Maestro the best but am having an IMPOSSIBLE time reaching anyone that can give me tech answers to specific questions which sucks ****. Especially if I buy their product and have more issues which has happened and I can't reach anyone for answers.

United Motorsport has NOT responded to several of my phone calls regarding their products as well. Specifically as to the price to upgrade later on down the road from one tune to the next and other minute questions. I have Jeffs direct phone number and still he has NOT responded.

So now the third option. AEM FIC has a complete website dedicated to this product and forum as well. They have responded to my questions in a timely manner but this is the least appealing possibilty.

The potential of this turbo is considerable. With my K04 015 setup I had a best with my Gtech of 14.7x and with the bigger K04 and me short shifting the **** out of it I have ran 14.2, 14.2, and 14.3 the three times I have ran it. All these runs have been done on the smae road going in the same direction with a full tank of gas.

Furthermore the numbers I pulled are directly from AWE's site which is whom that has pieced this kit together and is selling it. NOT GIAC.

AWE Tuning Performance K04 Turbo Upgrade Kit | AWE Tuning

Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Legal Moderator

Why not just run gtrs software?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

That is basically what I had in mind but I cant get a reply back from UM and they seem to have the most reasonable priced setup. Plus my injectors and maf match what they offer. I'm thinking the stage 3 they offer will cover both this k04, my gt2571 hybrid, and my billet 20g.

I may try the aem just too see how it works but its unlike most other piggys since it directly controls injector pulse width and thats my major issue.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:47 PM

Just some more info from someone who has ran PC-16 on a turbo which flows more than a K04-0015: you don't have to run Red Tops. I ran Delphi 315cc injectors @ ~2.8bar fuel pressure. Many people do this (though their injector brand varies).

Also I was easily hitting max injector pulse width with my FrankenTurbo and PC-16 setup. It was kinda sad

That is basically what I had in mind but I cant get a reply back from UM and they seem to have the most reasonable priced setup. Plus my injectors and maf match what they offer. I'm thinking the stage 3 they offer will cover both this k04, my gt2571 hybrid, and my billet 20g.
Have you tried email? Jeff was always quick at responding to my emails, though I haven't contacted him recently.

And UM Stage 3 is what I've been saying all along

Last edited by MetalMan; 02-11-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Of these I am liking Maestro the best but am having an IMPOSSIBLE time reaching anyone that can give me tech answers to specific questions which sucks ****. Especially if I buy their product and have more issues which has happened and I can't reach anyone for answers.
I've run into the same thing trying to contact Eurodyne directly, it's like they don't exist. Your best bet is to either find a dealer who sells Maestro like RAI or somebody and go to them for info, or read lots and lots of threads online and try to pull out the best info you can. Redline knows what he's talking about. There's also plenty of Maestro Me7 build/question/answer threads on Audizine if you take the time to look.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
4th Gear

OK I guess this going over some members heads. I have the K04 AWE kit and have removed the K04 015 turbo and replaced it with a much larger K04 turbo. This turbo is causing me problems since the PC16 upgrade will not handle it. Everywhere I have looked I found that it is stated it uses 5 bar FPR. Now to further the dilema my injectors are not red tops and this is the exact kit from AWE. So moving on to my obvious issues; This tune is not working at all with my current K04. MY AFR's are **** at best. Since there is misleading information on this setup I was asking what the fuel pressure is from people that have used it.
Who's head is it going over because most of us understand that you are running a larger turbo then the K04-15.

Well if you did a search for the PC16 GIAC tune for a K04-15 and couldn't find info that stated it use a larger injectors and 3 bar fpr or AFPR then you didn't look hard enough because I know that info is out there seeing that I must have typed it a million times and knew most of the people that ran the PC16 setup.

The standard OTS GIAC tune for the ndbw cars with a K04-15 uses the stock injectors and a 5 bar fpr. Which is the normal kit that AWE sells, maybe that is what you actually ended up getting instead of the PC16 GIAC file. If you sent your ECU back to get upgraded to the PC16 file then that is all you got and it was up to you to swap in 310-315cc injectors and a 3 bar.

But like I said I know what hardware gets used with the PC16 tune because I have answered questions about it for the last 10+ years and the fact that I was sponsored by GIAC from 2000-2005 and was dealing with the owner when he was working out of his garage in Socal.

The potential of this turbo is considerable. With my K04 015 setup I had a best with my Gtech of 14.7x and with the bigger K04 and me short shifting the **** out of it I have ran 14.2, 14.2, and 14.3 the three times I have ran it. All these runs have been done on the smae road going in the same direction with a full tank of gas.
Sorry but those are all slow numbers for a K04-15 and for a K04 that flow way more air then a K04-15. People have ran in the 14's with just a chipped K03, I was running nearly 14 flat with a stock K03 with custom tuning. Most of the people with a K04-15 run low 14's and have even ran as quick as mid 13's.

Jet jockey ran 13.3 at 107 mph with his MTM K04 that was also larger then a K04-15 and he was a complete noob when it comes to drag racing and ran that time on his very first pass. lol

All of these were done at an actual drag strip with time slips to back them up, not doing with a G-tech which tends to read lower then a car would run at the track since it allows for a much larger roll out before it starts the timer.

Furthermore the numbers I pulled are directly from AWE's site which is whom that has pieced this kit together and is selling it. NOT GIAC.

AWE Tuning Performance K04 Turbo Upgrade Kit | AWE Tuning
AWE is just a GIAC dealer, it is GIAC that tells their dealer what hardware the tune is designed to be used with. If you look at the info on that link you will notice that the PC16 kit uses larger injectors. If you didn't get larger injectors with the PC16 tune then you should have questioned them from the start. Even their PC16 "UPGRADE" option states injectors.

PC16 Upgrade (Injector set and special G.I.A.C. chip)
The standard kit comes with a 5 bar while the PC16 setup comes with injectors. That is why there is a price difference between the 2. Not really all that hard to figure out.

The PC16 isn't going to work with a larger turbo because the ECU just can't adapt for that much flow with that tune so it is going to fight you the whole time. First off the MAF reads way to low at only 189 g/s and when you go over that the ECU just dumps fuel seeing it is the only sensor it can use when driving at WOT. If you try to put in larger injectors the ecu is going to pull all of that fuel out at Idle/PT, then it is going to use that fuel correction when you are at WOT. So basically you end up in the same damn spot you started at but out the money for buying larger injectors. Have to understand you are dealing with a narrow band 02 sensor ECU not a wide band 02 ECU. But hey if you don't want to take my word for it that is fine, you seem to be the noob with the A4 and I have just been racing A4's for 13 years while running a K03, PES T28 kit, K04-15 on a 2032cc built motor/head and then 8 years with a GT35r making 400whp to 650whp during that time.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 02-12-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Who's head is it going over because most of us understand that you are running a larger turbo then the K04-15.

Well if you did a search for the PC16 GIAC tune for a K04-15 and couldn't find info that stated it use a larger injectors and 3 bar fpr or AFPR then you didn't look hard enough because I know that info is out there seeing that I must have typed it a million times and knew most of the people that ran the PC16 setup.

The standard OTS GIAC tune for the ndbw cars with a K04-15 uses the stock injectors and a 5 bar fpr. Which is the normal kit that AWE sells, maybe that is what you actually ended up getting instead of the PC16 GIAC file. If you sent your ECU back to get upgraded to the PC16 file then that is all you got and it was up to you to swap in 310-315cc injectors and a 3 bar.

But like I said I know what hardware gets used with the PC16 tune because I have answered questions about it for the last 10+ years and the fact that I was sponsored by GIAC from 2000-2005 and was dealing with the owner when he was working out of his garage in Socal.

Sorry but those are all slow numbers for a K04-15 and for a K04 that flow way more air then a K04-15. People have ran in the 14's with just a chipped K03, I was running nearly 14 flat with a stock K03 with custom tuning. Most of the people with a K04-15 run low 14's and have even ran as quick as mid 13's.

Jet jockey ran 13.3 at 107 mph with his MTM K04 that was also larger then a K04-15 and he was a complete noob when it comes to drag racing and ran that time on his very first pass. lol

All of these were done at an actual drag strip with time slips to back them up, not doing with a G-tech which tends to read lower then a car would run at the track since it allows for a much larger roll out before it starts the timer.

AWE is just a GIAC dealer, it is GIAC that tells their dealer what hardware the tune is designed to be used with. If you look at the info on that link you will notice that the PC16 kit uses larger injectors. If you didn't get larger injectors with the PC16 tune then you should have questioned them from the start. Even their PC16 "UPGRADE" option states injectors.

The standard kit comes with a 5 bar while the PC16 setup comes with injectors. That is why there is a price difference between the 2. Not really all that hard to figure out.

The PC16 isn't going to work with a larger turbo because the ECU just can't adapt for that much flow with that tune so it is going to fight you the whole time. First off the MAF reads way to low at only 189 g/s and when you go over that the ECU just dumps fuel seeing it is the only sensor it can use when driving at WOT. If you try to put in larger injectors the ecu is going to pull all of that fuel out at Idle/PT, then it is going to use that fuel correction when you are at WOT. So basically you end up in the same damn spot you started at but out the money for buying larger injectors. Have to understand you are dealing with a narrow band 02 sensor ECU not a wide band 02 ECU. But hey if you don't want to take my word for it that is fine, you seem to be the noob with the A4 and I have just been racing A4's for 13 years while running a K03, PES T28 kit, K04-15 on a 2032cc built motor/head and then 8 years with a GT35r making 400whp to 650whp during that time.
I am not doubting you at all and you hit the nail on the head when you stated I am noob to the A4 since I am about as noobish as one can be. I do not drag race my car. It is in no way my intention nor its designated purpose. The numbers I quoted were specifically to differentiate the added performance "I" obtained with the bigger K04 over the standard K04.

Now the fact of the matter I am trying to point out is that I looked specifically on AWE website and no where on that site does it state the FPR being lower on the PC16 upgrade. It only states 5.0 FPR. Since it is specifically noted as a AWE setup I figured they would know what they are selling.

Also I have clearly stated that swapping in larger injectors is only going to be a band aid. I did not go through in detail in this specific thread about larger injectors swap but it is covered in others. My intention was to increase injector size proportional to an increase in MAF size and swap to the MK3 VRG MAF. This has been done before but I sincerely feel I am curtailing the inevitable and need to figure out which of the above options I am going to go with.

I would have already bought Maestro had the manufacturer every responded.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 AM
4th Gear

I am not doubting you at all and you hit the nail on the head when you stated I am noob to the A4 since I am about as noobish as one can be. I do not drag race my car. It is in no way my intention nor its designated purpose. The numbers I quoted were specifically to differentiate the added performance "I" obtained with the bigger K04 over the standard K04.

Now the fact of the matter I am trying to point out is that I looked specifically on AWE website and no where on that site does it state the FPR being lower on the PC16 upgrade. It only states 5.0 FPR. Since it is specifically noted as a AWE setup I figured they would know what they are selling.

Also I have clearly stated that swapping in larger injectors is only going to be a band aid. I did not go through in detail in this specific thread about larger injectors swap but it is covered in others. My intention was to increase injector size proportional to an increase in MAF size and swap to the MK3 VRG MAF. This has been done before but I sincerely feel I am curtailing the inevitable and need to figure out which of the above options I am going to go with.

I would have already bought Maestro had the manufacturer every responded.

Well that is AWE's mistake for not saying that it uses larger injectors AND a 3 bar FPR instead of the standard 5 bar FPR that the standard K04 kit uses. But then why would a 5 bar fpr need to be used if larger injectors are used instead when running the exact same K04? Come on common sense has to kick in at some point seeing that a 3 bar and larger injectors will have pretty much the same amount of fuel flow as the stock injectors and a 5 bar FPR. This is why GIAC did the PC16 tune to allow better flow out of the stock fuel pump vs their standard tune which used the 5 bar fpr. No matter what these cars shouldn't be used with a 5 bar fpr since the fuel pressure is just way to high once the boost pressure is added to that 72.5 lbs of fuel pressure. That is why these cars came with a 4 bar FPR stock.

BTW AWE might know what they are selling or the owner might, but that doens't mean their web master does. This is why it is always best to ask questions instead of assuming the info is 100% correct.

yes swapping in larger injectors and a larger maf housing has been done before, but it is also not a great idea since the larger maf housing changes the load readings which directly effect timing. This is ghetto tuning at its finest and usually results in a crappy running car or broken engine parts.

Why in the world are you emailing Eurodyne? There is a reason they have dealers all over the world, so that the dealers can answer customer questions instead of them. If you have a question about your Audi do you email Audi directly or a Audi dealership?

If you have a question about the Maestro product you might as ask me or my friend Dan which used to help tune cars at a Audi shop that sold the Maestro products and later was asked to work for Eurodyne to answer customer questions about it but didn't take that job.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 AM

Also to add to what mike said about Eurodyne, call the dealers. I got all my info that convinced me from RAI Motosport. Also, not 100% sure Mike may know more but isnt "Eurodyne" just 1 guy Chris? or something like that in canada? Technically? Just saying hes the main guy that doesn't have time to deal with every users problems, hence the dealers.

Quick Reply: Couple noobesque questions.