B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Couple noobesque questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Couple noobesque questions.

I have an AWE kit and am going to sell it to a friend but I have extra set of new ev14 injectors that he would prefer to run instead. WHat I am confused about is the damn FPR that comes with the AWE kit. Its states that it is 5.0 BAR but I am pretty damn sure the fuel pressure is not 73.5psi. Does anyone know the fuel pressure that the giac kit runs at and does anyone know the stock fuel pressure as well?

Also who makes an adjustable FPR for our cars or does anyone know of good brand for a reasonable price? I have a fuel pressure guage that I plan on tapping into the fuel rail for consistent accurate numbers (its oil filled). I know a lof of people use the eGay ones without issue but I am seriously skeptical.....

Old 02-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Legal Moderator

what "kits" are you talking about? whatever the kit says to run for fuel pressure is what you are suppose to run. stock pressure is 4 bar, so it makes sense for them to run a 5 bar to get more fuel.

as for an adjustable fpr, if you dnt want to run one like fuel labs and get a new rail, i personally like ecs tuning afpr. thats what i run. there are cheaper ones like eurospec, but i think the ecs one is quality. i found it for a little over $100

Old 02-09-2013, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

Its the awe k04 015 kit wth pc16 upgrade. I'm running it with my setup but afr's are not safe at wot. They are around 13-13.5 til 5000k and then start going up. I'm only running 14psi and was going to sell this setup to get a decent tune for my car. I didn't know the stock fuel pressure was so high.

I have some other ecs bits. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by zandrew
Its the awe k04 015 kit wth pc16 upgrade. I'm running it with my setup but afr's are not safe at wot. They are around 13-13.5 til 5000k and then start going up. I'm only running 14psi and was going to sell this setup to get a decent tune for my car. I didn't know the stock fuel pressure was so high.

I have some other ecs bits. Thanks for the suggestion.
13 to 13.5 is a little on the high side at full boost. generally you should be looking for 11.5 to be safe, 12.5 if you wanna push it. if it were me, id just get an afpr and crank up the pressure till you get good afr's, unless its too low while cruising. im guessing the tune you have isnt that great. my tuner has my car running an afr of 10 while. its even at 14 idling. i dont think ill be going back to him. its just too rich. my plugs are black

Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

It's the giac pc16 upgrade that I was trying out on my big k04 upgrade. I bought an afpr but these injectors are already at 5 bar. I have some 39lb bosch blue injectors on there way but I think my best route is going with um tune or buying maestro. My cruising afr is ok. When I tune my 4agte I went for 12.0:1-12.5:1 but had an excellent intercooler setup. 10.0:1 is way to safe unless your intercooler sucks ****. Your actually losing power and mpg.

I redlined this turbo once and my afr went into the 14's. The k04 015 on the exact same setup was in the mind 11's at its highest.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Legal Moderator

It's the giac pc16 upgrade that I was trying out on my big k04 upgrade. I bought an afpr but these injectors are already at 5 bar. I have some 39lb bosch blue injectors on there way but I think my best route is going with um tune or buying maestro. My cruising afr is ok. When I tune my 4agte I went for 12.0:1-12.5:1 but had an excellent intercooler setup. 10.0:1 is way to safe unless your intercooler sucks ****. Your actually losing power and mpg.

I redlined this turbo once and my afr went into the 14's. The k04 015 on the exact same setup was in the mind 11's at its highest.
thats the thing. my intercooler is almost overkill for a 2871r. heres my dyno. notice the afr flatlining on the bottom graph. but if you are having issues like you describe, sounds like your tune isnt written for what you need. a fuel table adjustment is what you should be looking at
Name:  Stellar.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  117.0 KB

Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 AM
1st Gear

I am confused by your dyno. Typically once you have boost onset it comes on fast and hard but it looks like yours is more linear which is not necessarily bad just different. I am really not excited by the GT2871 response on the 1.8t at all. 20 psi by 4500 is similar to what I have seen on B18's with T3T4 turbos. I have actually seen TD05H big 16G out spool a GT2871R and is one of my reasons for seriously contemplating the billet 20G. Your AFR's are closer to 11.0:1 which is OK but still not ideal. You have maestro why not try to tune it yourself? From what I have heard it seems to be fairly user friendly.

The PC16 was wrote specifically for the K04 015 but I was hoping to get a decent bit of performance from it with my current setup. This has not been the case. I was thinking about buying a set of injectors that should still run fine but get AFR back to decent but I am bandaid'ing when I need to go ahead and fix it completely. I have the money to do it I just need to figure out 100% which way I want to go.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:24 AM

Hold up... the PC-16 kit is spec'd at 31lb injectors when run at 3bar fuel pressure:
GIAC - F.A.Q.

GIAC has another (less aggressive) K04 file which uses stock injectors (210cc) @ 5bar fuel pressure.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM
4th Gear

I am confused by your dyno. Typically once you have boost onset it comes on fast and hard but it looks like yours is more linear which is not necessarily bad just different. I am really not excited by the GT2871 response on the 1.8t at all. 20 psi by 4500 is similar to what I have seen on B18's with T3T4 turbos. I have actually seen TD05H big 16G out spool a GT2871R and is one of my reasons for seriously contemplating the billet 20G. Your AFR's are closer to 11.0:1 which is OK but still not ideal. You have maestro why not try to tune it yourself? From what I have heard it seems to be fairly user friendly.

The PC16 was wrote specifically for the K04 015 but I was hoping to get a decent bit of performance from it with my current setup. This has not been the case. I was thinking about buying a set of injectors that should still run fine but get AFR back to decent but I am bandaid'ing when I need to go ahead and fix it completely. I have the money to do it I just need to figure out 100% which way I want to go.
Just stop because what your doing is not going to work. Throwing larger injectors on is going to make the car run really rich down low which is what you don't want it to do. Best option for you is to get a real tune and stop messing around with a tune that is designed for a smaller turbo.

His AFR is exactly where it should be for a 1.8t which is right around 11.5:1. Running it leaner then that doesn't make more power it just increases the EGT's.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

I am now officaally banging my head into the wall with the FPR issue. When you look at the AWE kit it states that the 5.0 regulator comes with it. No where does it contradict that the PC16 upgrade comes with the 3.0 BAR but it does come with the different injectors. You can actually buy it in two parts. The PC16 upgrade states larger fuel injectors and more aggressive tune but no change in FPR. Too my knowledge the stock FPR is 4.0 and the one offered is 5.0. No where does it state FPR of of 3.0.

I bought an adjustable unit to drop in though.

I know I need to upgrade my tune. I actually stated just that but I am on the fence as to which route to take. I would prefer the Maestro setup as it has VAG com like capabilities and can be tailored to whatever I do later on. I also like the idea of dropping in a tune and it running with that. The injectors I was going to swap in are marginally larger then what I have now.

As for EGT's and ideal AFR's I have always been under the impression that 11's are overkill and around 12 is best. I am sure this changes which each motors DNA but the majority of Dyno's I have looked at show target AFR to be in the 11.5-12'ish range. Some EGT is good for spool which it looks like he could use a bit of but I think I saw where he is using 2.25" exhaust and am wondering if that is why his spool is slower.

Quick Reply: Couple noobesque questions.