B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

could someone get back to me

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 01:48 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl;
1087114with a journal, or 'bushing', the clearances are enough that things will turn until the shaft heats up, expands, and seizes.
so you do know your journal bearing turbos... best way i can put it into context is running a 2 stroke sled at about 150:1 gas/oil raitio. your are bound to burn up the cylinder.

your abs light does not affect you your turbo. thats it. they are unrelated. you have a bigger issue. believe me, if your turbo doesnt work, it just wont work. there has got to be something more at hand. tells us EVERYTHING that is goin on. the only guess i got is the n75...

Old 05-19-2009, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

ok. starts fine
a small bit of bruning oil...evidence is on the front of the engine near manifold, dirt clearly stuck with oil, guessing thats a vavle cover gasket, not too bad yet though, the temp guage in my car always holds right around 150
a small knocking sound is heard im assuming because its older, tonight though it started smelling often, like oil.another thing is i ws smelling coolant a lot but no sign of leakage on ground or visible hoses etc, levels were the same. the timing belt cover and intake boot were off the car, upon reinstallation that think would spool a lot quicker. again sometimes it goes, but after a few gears it quits...BUT ONLY WHEN THOSE lights go on! when theyre not on im in business! its really odd.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:12 AM
4th Gear

BUT ONLY WHEN THOSE lights go on! when theyre not on im in business! its really odd.
Ok.. would say you prolly have an electrical issue then. Could be a ground somewhere.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:20 AM
3rd Gear

like i said- scan for codes. it will tell you exactly what is wrong with it and we can tell you how to fix it. with no codes people are only throwing darts at the board of possibilities. we need to know exactly whats happening, which the car can tell you if you plug a scanner into it and ask.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

ok so new info today. i took it out and it didnt start up first time...first time doing that, turbo works for a minute...now heres whats happening!
right after it stops working, over in the intake area there is a knock, three lines run into this small cylindar looking device and that seems to be the proximity of the knock, but the turbo works great til that point.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

also, there seems to be an oil leak. i found new oil on the frame and trans but slow to the point where theres none on ground. i have seen a little smoke from oil burn once or twice before, but barely any..as for the turbo issue, that knock you feel through the surrounding lines near that cylinder

Old 05-19-2009, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

oh and it smells like a wicked amount of coolant, and now something is hissing very loudly in the back of the engine close to where i now see an oil leak. the car is now riding so rough at idle.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:08 PM
4th Gear

You prolly have a coolant leak now... you need to really take it in and have it looked at. Its alot to try and figure this many problems over the web.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator

i wouldn't replace it quite yet. by "extremely warm", do you mean it runs warm based on the oil temp gauge? or the water temp gauge? or it smells like its on fire? or what?

also, "higher rpms=more pull" sounds ok, to a point. the turbos on these cars aren't very big, and thus sort of peter out at high rpms. there is such a thing as "limp mode", where your turbo only boosts about 5 psi, but based on your description i doubt thats the case, because limp mode isn't random and spotty like you're describing. also, an ABS sensor wouldn't put you in limp mode that i'm aware of.

Also, the noise you described in the original post, does it sound like dentist's drill? if so, thats bad :/

lastly, ghost has a point. if you make multiple threads about the same problem, it makes it extremely difficult for other guys to follow the situation and help you fix your problem. its better to "bump" the original thread by posting in it to bring it back to the top of the thread list.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

ok, well it just feels abnormally warm, the guages read normal, the coolant level doesnt change but stinks like it, the oil though, is found near the back or the engine, near all the electronic lines, and it just started... im guessing its a line. the hiss i hear sounds like its coming out of a hose in the back, not coming from the turbo

Quick Reply: could someone get back to me