B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Coolant Temp Sensor Wasnt It?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Coolant Temp Sensor Wasnt It?

I have a 2001 Audi A4, 2.8L, 5speed

Some time last year, i parked my car, and turned it off. it wouldnt start. i waited a night, it started. it did this for a week. there were no problems after

Fast forward to last week, my car would only start at night when it was cool, it rarely started in the day time, if it would at all

I looked through old threads on AZ, and coolant temp sensor came up. i bought one, put it in on saturday, and all was well until today, wednesday

i turned the key, and nothing. i tried again, nothing. , i tried and held the key in place and it started. im currently sitting in my car while posting from my phone. i dont want to turn it off yet

any sugestions?

P.S., the b5 section in AZ is a ghost town. so yes, im very new bere. its my first post

Old 08-05-2015, 08:00 PM
2nd Gear

is it turning over? my dads 2002 all-road had the same issue, where it would start if it had been running for a while but on cold starts it was nearly a no-go. it WOULD turn-over though. turned out to be just a coolant temp sensor.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by aviairy
i turned the key, and nothing. i tried again, nothing. , i tried and held the key in place and it started.
You mean that you turned the key to the "Start" position, and the starter motor was silent, not cranking the engine? If that's what you meant, the coolant temp sensor would not have anything to do with it. Often the problem is the ignition switch, and fortunately they are not too expensive. So if I understood you correctly, you should be able to turn the ignition On, and have someones help in pushing the car for a bump-start to get you home.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbo510
You mean that you turned the key to the "Start" position, and the starter motor was silent, not cranking the engine? If that's what you meant, the coolant temp sensor would not have anything to do with it. Often the problem is the ignition switch, and fortunately they are not too expensive. So if I understood you correctly, you should be able to turn the ignition On, and have someones help in pushing the car for a bump-start to get you home.
ah yeah, that totally makes sense. i'll look into it and report back to the thread. thanks kindly