B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Coolant leaking, need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
How the F&%# can you tell that from a crappy pic of the oil pan? You must be some sort of Jedi...
I think it's a beautiful pic of an oil pan.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:47 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry, I got side tracked when writing last time...the rear coolant flange on your engine is a pretty common leak area. If your t-stat was broken, and stuck OPEN, now the NEW ONE IS working fine...meaning it's closed, then opens normally as temp increases, you have more PRESSURE back in your system and the rear coolant flange would actually start leaking more (so you may have had a small leak b4-just didn't notice it).....depends on how long your t-stat has been Kaputt....BUT, the MOST common coolant leak coming from the middle/back of the engines down around the oil pan IS the rear coolant flange.....it sits right above the back center almost.....

Old 02-15-2014, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by markymarc
Sorry, I got side tracked when writing last time...the rear coolant flange on your engine is a pretty common leak area. If your t-stat was broken, and stuck OPEN, now the NEW ONE IS working fine...meaning it's closed, then opens normally as temp increases, you have more PRESSURE back in your system and the rear coolant flange would actually start leaking more (so you may have had a small leak b4-just didn't notice it).....depends on how long your t-stat has been Kaputt....BUT, the MOST common coolant leak coming from the middle/back of the engines down around the oil pan IS the rear coolant flange.....it sits right above the back center almost.....
It was leaking when I was pouring the coolant in, I never even started the car up so no pressure or anything was building up. I'm waiting for my friend today so we can use his ramps and see whats going on up there. I have a feeling the tstat is just not properly seated as I couldn't really see up there without any ramps or anything.

Now does the O ring go in BEFORE the tstat in that groove or does it go in AFTER the tstat? I'm still hoping to learn that when I put the new tstat in if it is suppose to stay on its own or if the old one just did that because it melted and formed into place.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

This is a pic of a TDI I had handy...basically though, the O ring goes ON TOP of the thermostat on your audi.

To the attachment:
1. Mounting Bolt
2. Flange
3. O-ring
4. Thermostat

Attached Images  

Last edited by markymarc; 02-15-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:49 PM
2nd Gear

Here's a youtube video....hope it doesn't make you need to go to the restroom when he's draining the coolant....LOL

Old 02-15-2014, 07:50 PM
2nd Gear
Exclamation

This is a pic of a TDI I had handy...basically though, the O ring goes ON TOP of the thermostat on your audi.

To the attachment:
1. Mounting Bolt
2. Flange
3. O-ring
4. Thermostat
Winner. That's what it was, I had put the O ring in first and then the thermostat. I took it back out today and switched it around because I thought it may have been backwards. No more leaking. Knew it was because it wasn't sealing well. Car gets up to operating temp now.

The oil gauge temp doesn't seem to move though I thought they would be connected. Where is the oil gauge suppose to go to? I just assumed the middle.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:28 PM
2nd Gear

Is the oil temp gauge sensor the thing on the bottom of the oil pan or is that something else. I can't seem to find an Audi oil temp sensor part online. I can only find the sensor that is on the bottom of the pan.

It hasn't really gotten above 32F here so is that maybe why it hasn't moved? I also haven't taken any very long trips but I would think it would heat up just as fast as the coolant temp gauge.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:13 PM
2nd Gear

It is at the bottom of the pan if you have a digital clock I think...otherwise see write up below, it's located above the oil filter. The write up is good.

It should still work when it's freezing out...my oil temp gauge works on all mine even when it's -20 outside.......Here's a nice little writeup for you.

1.8T Oil Pressure Sender Install - Write-Up

Old 02-16-2014, 05:52 PM
2nd Gear

It is at the bottom of the pan if you have a digital clock I think...otherwise see write up below, it's located above the oil filter. The write up is good.

It should still work when it's freezing out...my oil temp gauge works on all mine even when it's -20 outside.......Here's a nice little writeup for you.

1.8T Oil Pressure Sender Install - Write-Up
I do have a digital clock. I've actually never seen one without a digital clock. The part is rather expensive around $50-$100 depending if you go OEM or not. Not worth it right now just for a temp gauge. Maybe next oil change or the oil change after that... Or after that one.

Thanks for the link

Last edited by adam044; 02-16-2014 at 05:59 PM.