B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Coolant leak story.........confused

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:49 AM
1st Gear
Default Coolant leak story.........confused

I drove to work 3 days ago everything was fine. I went outside for a break about 3 hours after I parked and noticed a huge coolant puddle,nearly drained out my entire reservoir. I filled it with some basic coolant not g12 and drove home. I examined the car and leak. It appeared to be a slow drip that looks like it was possibly coming from the upper coolant hose. I ran over to my mechanic and he just took a quick look since he was in the middle of closing and said it looks like I need a radiator. Hes been wrong before so I said its fine for now ill just keep adding coolant. After that I hadn't driven the car for 2 days. Today I drove it around like normal just keeping an eye on the coolant level and leak. The drip/leak was very minimal nothing like it had been 3 days ago. I still cant quite locate the drip, it just appears to be driver side. Now what I did notice was that the temp gauge on the cluster was not moving/would move erratically but the car was running at optimum temp. I checked the temp via climatronic on-board diagnostic number 51. What do you think is the problem(s)? 2001 1.8t

Old 12-04-2011, 05:35 AM
2nd Gear

Put your hand or use a napkin under anything coolant related. When you see the puddle open the hood and try to see if you can pinpoint a more specific area.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:18 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by pbrules10
I filled it with some basic coolant not g12 and drove home.
You probably fixed the problem with the peanut butter like solution that forms in your cooling system when you mix G12 and green stuff. Unfortunately, that will probably lead to some more serious problems.

I suggest flushing the entire system with water several times, then refill with either/ or, but don't mix. Then attempt to find your leak again. Once you've found the leak and repair it, then make sure you're using G12.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
You probably fixed the problem with the peanut butter like solution that forms in your cooling system when you mix G12 and green stuff. Unfortunately, that will probably lead to some more serious problems.

I suggest flushing the entire system with water several times, then refill with either/ or, but don't mix. Then attempt to find your leak again. Once you've found the leak and repair it, then make sure you're using G12.
I just did this and replaced with green peak coolant for now. Im going to keep an eye on it while I try and locate the leak. Is it common for the upper coolant hose with that weird fitting to leak?

Old 12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by pbrules10
I just did this and replaced with green peak coolant for now. Im going to keep an eye on it while I try and locate the leak. Is it common for the upper coolant hose with that weird fitting to leak?
Lol. What he's trying to tell you is that you're better off using filtered water than some other coolant that's not g12. At least until you can get the leak fixed. Flush that other crap out of there asap.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear

Oh and that upper radiator hose needs to be pushed in as much as possible or it will leak. It's known to crack too since its just a hard plastic.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by A4 2000
Lol. What he's trying to tell you is that you're better off using filtered water than some other coolant that's not g12. At least until you can get the leak fixed. Flush that other crap out of there asap.
That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying don't mix them. He say use water to flush the mix out. Then refill with whichever fluid he chooses

Old 12-04-2011, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

Im not going to be keeping any water in the system. I live in NY and the temperatures are starting to go below 32 degrees.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:01 PM

exactly, flush that pb goop with water as to not waste expensive g12 coolant. Also to rid the system of the deadly green ****. Check the overflow tank they crack. put a piece of cardboard under the car and locate the drip location then follow the drip. you must find its source

Old 12-04-2011, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
exactly, flush that pb goop with water as to not waste expensive g12 coolant. Also to rid the system of the deadly green ****. Check the overflow tank they crack. put a piece of cardboard under the car and locate the drip location then follow the drip. you must find its source
Thats exactly what I did, but the belly pan is in the way making it hard to determine exactly where the drip is. Definitely driver side though.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak story.........confused