B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Coolant Leak....... :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:37 PM
4th Gear
Default Coolant Leak....... :(

ok. so this is going to be one of those questions where im not looking for an exact answer. but just an idea....

ok so. i drove home today and my car was running fine. i pull up my drive way get out of the car go inside.. 20 min later i go out to my car to head back to class.. and my car is still running. stupid me i left the keys in the car. i thought the TT was running when i got out.. well anyway... i pull out of my drive way and go off.. 2 min later my dad calls and said i left a huge puddle on the driveway, and a trail all the way down.. he said it looks like coolant. so i got to school poped the hood and saw my coolant was at the Min line. so my question is. when my car is running it seems to be leaking coolant... where would be the best place to start to look for a coolant leak. im going to get under my car later and take a look. hopefully its not something too serious.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:40 PM
5th Gear

i bet it's the stupid coolant temp flange

Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM
4th Gear

u think its cracked?

my dad said the fluid on the driveway wasnt pink... so i checked my other tanks and my hydraulic fluid doesnt even hit the dip stick.... whats it used for, where does it go to. where could it leak from?

Last edited by Jc61990; 02-25-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM
5th Gear

the coolant temp flange is right behind the block, it just holds the temp sensor but it's a common problem on the 1.8t. if it wasn't pink i'd be worried. when you say hydraulic fluid do you mean brake or PS? i'd fill all the fluids and see what's going down? do you have an underbelly pan too? if so take it off until you figure out the problem. it's easier to track down exactly where the leak is coming from if it's off.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:18 PM
4th Gear

this tank says like Hydraulic somthing on the cap.. my steering feels fine.. my car shifts fine. coolant level seems ok. brakes work. so i seriously am stumped. my dad diped a rag in all my tanks to try an match colors and the square'd tank is the only one that came close to a match not my car but it works....

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak....... :(-engine.jpg  
Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear

That's the power steering reservoir. It has a greenish look to it, commonly mistaken for coolant by drivers used to seeing green Prestone anti-freeze.

Audi PS uses Pentosin. DO NOT TOP WITH RED OR AMBER PS FLUID! Start inspecting the lines, pump, and rack for leaks.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:51 AM
5th Gear

i 2nd tweaked's words

Old 02-26-2009, 12:58 AM
3rd Gear

Don't let that completely leak. I did without knowing and it caused my pump to go bad... It started with a loose hose that I eventually fixed but it leaks fast from the pump now. I tried using some stop leak power steering stuff and it seems to have helped a little.. I realize it isn't the right type of fluid but I figured what more do I have to lose? Are there any more consequences from using this Lucas power steering leak stop than messing up the pump more? It seems to run and steer fine when using it.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tweaked
That's the power steering reservoir. It has a greenish look to it, commonly mistaken for coolant by drivers used to seeing green Prestone anti-freeze.

Audi PS uses Pentosin. DO NOT TOP WITH RED OR AMBER PS FLUID! Start inspecting the lines, pump, and rack for leaks.
is this a dealer only fluid like the rest of the **** for this car or can i get it at auto zone.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 AM
3rd Gear

Gotta get official VAG power steering fluid!

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak....... :(