B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Control arms, wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:54 PM
2nd Gear
Default Control arms, wheel bearings

Front control arms are badly worn. I ordered a complete set (figure might as well change everything in this area).
Wheel bearings make noise, sounds like rear.

Should I change the front ones as well while I have everything apart?

Can someone post good write ups for the work (control arms, sway bar linkage, etc; and wheel bearing front and rear).

Old 06-09-2010, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

I have a question in this area as well, can i just change the bushings for the fronts?? Meaning the 2 inner ones and the one outside on the straight one?? My control are in good condition i believe but in getting a loud rust like grinding sound every time my car modulates over uneven surfaces.....very embarrassing, sounds like im driving a mercury topaz or something :0 Upon investigating, i see the bushings for that corresponding side is completely worn....

Attached Thumbnails Control arms, wheel bearings-suspension1.jpg   Control arms, wheel bearings-suspension5.jpg  
Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by kevace1
I have a question in this area as well, can i just change the bushings for the fronts?? Meaning the 2 inner ones and the one outside on the straight one?? My control are in good condition i believe but in getting a loud rust like grinding sound every time my car modulates over uneven surfaces.....very embarrassing, sounds like im driving a mercury topaz or something :0 Upon investigating, i see the bushings for that corresponding side is completely worn....
The Forum told me to change them complete; and I decided to do all bushings/links and ordered the complete kit to get it all done (and will do the wheel bearings as well to get it over with all in one shot).

Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 PM
5th Gear

they don't make just the bushing.

we're demodding my car this weekend. if you can wait i'll try to remember to take pix

Old 06-10-2010, 04:20 AM
4th Gear

Blauparts has a bushing kit for about 60 bucks, or am I mistaken, because I seriously need to fix mine when I get home (I also have the the Mercury Topaz mod mentioned above...)

Old 06-10-2010, 07:46 AM
1st Gear

So there is no way to change the bushings? I'm was thinking od buying the bushings from www.autopartsgiant.com as they have them for a killer price considering I'm only looking to change one side as that's the only culprit. I need some assurance here before I go and order them thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify this....

Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Default Replace just the bushings?

I recently replaced my upper control arms and outter tie rod ends. The bushings in the control arms seemed to be permanentely mounted; like they could not be replaced by themselves... Also, I am thinking about doing my bearings all the way around; let us know how it goes!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:47 PM
4th Gear

That seems odd. Why would they sell bushing kits if they couldn't be replaced?

I need to keep an eye on this thread to figure out if they can be replaced or not. If not, where is a good place to find the whole set cheap? I've read elsewhere that ebay is actually OK for the control arms (this will be the only time I would actually suggest ebay).

Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

Yeah actually ebay is pretty good. They have a complete control arm set for $224 w/ free shipping. But seriously, I'm assuming the bushings just need to be pressed out like the bearings. You need a hydraulic press to remove and replace the front and rear bearings. I mean why on earth would ecstunning, autohaus, and all other retailers sell the bushings if they r not replacable? Point proving if you have a shot ball joint, that you can't find anywhere cause its just not replaceable, you do have to get the whole control arm. But I think the case is different with the bushings.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

just save yourself the trouble and replace the arms instead of the bushings i did all the front control arms t.r.e.'s and sway links in under 3 hours. and if your front bearings look alright i wouldnt replace them mine were fine although i replaced my rears when i did the front control arms the wheels were about to fall off. there should be write ups at www.audidiy.com thats where i find most of mine if not someone on here will have them. control arms are very straight forward. the bearings are a little more in depth