B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

control arm kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Default control arm kit

ok so here's the deal.....last winter, i hit a curb at about a 45 degree angle with my front right wheel with the steering wheel at full lock to the left at about 5-10 mph. ever since then the car has pulled to the right and now I need to have it fixed by next thurs. would anyone recommend this kit, or would i be able to just replace maybe the lower control arms and inner/outer tre on the right side?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...em350039181477

Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: control arm kit

Well, I don't have anything to say about the repair that you're doing, but I can comment on that eBay seller. Now, I know these are two different parts, but in case my experience is reflective of product quality across their catalog, I'll mention it. I installed new engine mounts, which I bought from them, supposedly OEM parts like your control arm kit there and two days later, one was already leaking! I emailed them immediately requesting a replacement and their response was, "No problem, send it back and we'll send a replacement when we get the defective one." Okay, that's nice, but this isn't the sort of thing the car can just be without for a couple of weeks. Anyway, caveat emptor.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 PM

as long as they are FEBI/BILSTIEN good deal, otherwise, run. i still have the OE ones in my 01, but have seen non german ones wear out FAST!!!! FEBI/BILSTIEN is a german company that is an OE supplier to vw-audi

Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 PM

well, what about the second part of my question....that's kind of more what i was actually meaning to ask about. do you guys think i would be ok to replace just the parts that are bent/off, or should i do a whole like 12 pc kit?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Slut

i would do a whole meyle kit from ecs... i used to go through oem control arms like crazy, but never since i threw the meyle parts on... for the whole kit, you are paying the same as a few fixes with the oem stuff... but if you are concerned about not being able to just replace the spent parts, dont be.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:46 PM

damn...$530 is out of my budget [:@]now what i wonder?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:28 PM
3rd Gear

Go with the kit (or call and just get the parts you need) from FCP Groton - they also sell on ebay. Get their phone # from www.foreigncarpartsonline.com. They usually have free shipping and their stuff is quality, brand-name febi/meyle/moog/trw.... and they sometimes have the parts cheaper than advertised on their site, to compete with the other ebay vendors.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Slut

i would just buy the parts you need from ecs, but make sure you get meyle, they will be cheaper and better than oem. This way you can just order them as you need them, and eventually you will have the whole kit in there.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:45 PM

so i can get just the parts i need without too many adverse effects? you guys have been a tremendous help, i really appreciate it
edit: so judging by what happened, would you guys say it's maybe the tre? i know it's hard tellin without seeing the car, but any guess is a good one at this point

Old 03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
4th Gear

Like bogie said FCPGroton are good guys, theres also another guy that i got my control arms from that was a good seller with good items. it is a good idea to replace all 12 parts of the CAs but really if you need a quick fix just replace what is bent usually the lower control arms but in some cases the upper too, unless oyu see visible damage tot eh sway bar link or TR they should be good (for a short time anyways) also if your stuff is bent and rusted on its a real PITA to remove, i had to take mine to shop and they had to cut many parts off.

Quick Reply: control arm kit