B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

common leak areas in trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 PM
1st Gear
Default common leak areas in trunk?

I live in southern california and we've gotten hit with solid rain for about a week. My car hasnt been driven because it needs a new front bearing. opened the trunk today and found that everything is SOAKED on the right side in the corner of the taillight.

is there a spot where there tends to be leaks?

thanks

Old 12-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Administrator

There aren't really any weak spots that I can think of. Check the integrity of the trunk gasket that seals the lid when it's closed - you may have a puncture or rip in it, or the gasket may be compressed from age and time and not truly sealing it.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Site Moderator

Its the sunroof drain, they back up and fill the trunk on either side. I would immediately remove the panel on the right side and get the central locking unit out of there because its probably submerged under water right now. Then either replace the sunroof drains (the back ones) or remove them, blow them out with compressed air, then re-seal the end pieces so excess water doesn't run down the outside of the drain.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

i dont have a sunroof, are there still drains? good thing my locking pump is already broken cause it was soaked. I'm trying to find another one on ebay etc right now but i think im going to mount it somewhere raised so it doesnt end up sitting in a puddle of water again

Old 12-23-2010, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

the tail light seal, you need a new one or to tighten the taillight. ps, your central locking control module is toasted...same thing happened to me.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audacity
the tail light seal, you need a new one or to tighten the taillight. ps, your central locking control module is toasted...same thing happened to me.
my module has been busted for a while, im about to buy a new one and im glad i havent put it in yet or it'd be f_cked

Old 12-23-2010, 09:45 PM
2nd Gear

An Audi with no sunroof!? :O

Old 12-24-2010, 09:37 AM
1st Gear

yeah but its def your taillight seal...i see it being hard for a trunk gasket to go bad. the taillight seal is just a piece of foam.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Boober
I live in southern california and we've gotten hit with solid rain for about a week. My car hasnt been driven because it needs a new front bearing. opened the trunk today and found that everything is SOAKED on the right side in the corner of the taillight.

is there a spot where there tends to be leaks?

thanks
I was having the same problem in the same corner. I put some duct tape on the trunk seal and it seemed to help. I would say go in the trunk and have someone spray a hose around that area so you can see exactly where it's coming from.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:59 AM
Site Moderator

Oh you got one of the models without a sunroof, i've only seen two of them in my life, kinda rare actually. I think Mr. hood has one without a sun roof if i remember correctly. I would also say its the tail light seal, the trunk seal is a beast, and usually won't leak.

Quick Reply: common leak areas in trunk?