B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Coilovers installed, need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 AM
1st Gear

how much lower is it over stock in the pic? If those are 18 rims, I would say lower it just a little more if the gap around the wheel doesn't significantly close after they set. If they're not 18 inches (or more, which I doubt), then leave it at that height and get 18" or bigger. imho.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kriptonik
How long have you had those for? Like said before, it takes a while for coilovers to settle.
Also are your front fenders rolled? If you're gonna go lower, roll those fenders first before you actually mess them up.

Anyway, the car is looking good!
I've had them on for just over a week, and my fenders aren't rolled. I didn't know that they settled, so I'll wait another week to see what it looks like.

Originally Posted by 410ThirtyValve
how much lower is it over stock in the pic? If those are 18 rims, I would say lower it just a little more if the gap around the wheel doesn't significantly close after they set. If they're not 18 inches (or more, which I doubt), then leave it at that height and get 18" or bigger. imho.
I'm not sure how much lower it is then stock. I had sport suspension on it before & I would say it is ~1" lower than that was. Yeah, those are 18"s. I will let it settle, but I'm thinking another 0.5" is in order.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

I'm looking to put on streetsports in a few months, and they're based on konis too. I don't want it excessively low either, but I think at least another 1/2 inch to an inch will do. Nothing like the car above though!! It just almost doesn't seem worth it, at that height; I have the stock sport suspension too, and it's not too much higher than that.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 410ThirtyValve
I'm looking to put on streetsports in a few months, and they're based on konis too. I don't want it excessively low either, but I think at least another 1/2 inch to an inch will do. Nothing like the car above though!! It just almost doesn't seem worth it, at that height; I have the stock sport suspension too, and it's not too much higher than that.
I'm very happy with the performance of them over the stock sport suspension. This suspension makes taking corners at high speeds feel much more comfortable.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

I love the car as is! I can't wait to afford coilovers...

Old 04-11-2009, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Munzter
I'm very happy with the performance of them over the stock sport suspension. This suspension makes taking corners at high speeds feel much more comfortable.
That's great to hear!! Can't wait to install the streetsports...they'll feel even better because I've been used to severely worn control arms, tie rods and a terrible alignment the last few months. I'm gonna do them all at once!
...I just meant in terms of ride height.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear

i think that ride height looks very practical and OEM+ if thats the look youre going for.. the raked stance is exactly what i cant wait to get with coils.. congrats man

Old 04-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Not to thread jack i have a 2000 a4 1.8tq and mine came with adjustable coilovers and the height is too high i think and when on the freeways or dips it feels like i'm on a big boat. so what i would like to know is how long do coilovers last and what are signs when they need to be replaced.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 PM
5th Gear

It really depends on how the previous owner drove the car, and what setting he had it set at. If it's in 4x4 mode and still bottoming out (not that you said it was, but if it is) then it's probably the damper settings. And if not that, then it may be time to look into a new suspension.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by tatensty
Not to thread jack i have a 2000 a4 1.8tq and mine came with adjustable coilovers and the height is too high i think and when on the freeways or dips it feels like i'm on a big boat. so what i would like to know is how long do coilovers last and what are signs when they need to be replaced.
If it dips too much then the shock may be shot and allowing too much travel. They should outlast your car. What brand are they? Most coilover companies offer a lifetime warranty... ONLY to the original purchaser. So buying the car used screws you over in that department. Take apart the CO and test your shock. If it's slow to rise up it's shot. Just get a replacement and meanwhile you can adjust them to sit lower

Quick Reply: Coilovers installed, need your opinion