B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

coilover concerns....old timers, forgive me....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:32 PM
1st Gear
Default coilover concerns....old timers, forgive me....

I might be losing my memory here, but I have just searched and can't seem to find the thread comparing the different popular coil-over set ups. I re-did a search and came across the audizine one and also some minor discussion in another thread, but I could have sworn there was a very good thread on here about the virtues and vices of the brands.

I'm looking to do a set up this January (-gotta start planning for it financially now...student life-) and remember that I want Koni's but don't remember why. I see that most ppl on here have some combo involving bilstein shocks and some springs but I am only considering coil-overs. What are the best? I am not going to track the car and am not willing to compromise much more ride comfort over the stock sport suspension, so I don't want anything to stiff. Primarily concerned with lowering the car and [I]at least maintaining[I] stock ride quality (or virtually insignificantly reducing it). Konis's? Stasis? Neuspeed? or other?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:35 PM

All I can say is I friggin love my H&R street sport coilovers! Feel is great and handling is incredible

Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Coilovers are great, and it's nice especially if you plan to adjust height based on weather per season for example (if you get crappy winters and want more clearance, but want it on the ground during the nice months). If you just want to lower the car and be done with it, you will be fine with struts and springs only, and don't really need to bother with coilovers. There are great strut/spring combos out there that will lower you and make you handle better than stock for hundreds less than coilovers - a worthwhile savings if you want the "set it and forget it" system.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ryanylva
All I can say is I friggin love my H&R street sport coilovers! Feel is great and handling is incredible
Are they very stiff?? I'm assuming they would be since they're street sport. I don't want to be feeling every detail in the asphalt...These are luxury cars after all.

I'm looking for something more blananced between comfort and performance. At least the performance of the stock sport suspension, and not too much less comfort than it.

I'm in Canada, so coilovers will be ideal in case of heavy winters.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear

I have konis, your in brampton, im in mississauga. if you want, i could take your for a ride and you could see for yourself ride quality. PM me.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

konis are the **** i have them and it doesnt even feel like i am lowered.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 PM
3rd Gear

I don't have them, but I plan on (if my Audi ever gets fixed!) V-MAXX coilovers for my A4. From what I hear and what you say, you sound like you would be happy with them. They supposedly use the same spring rate as stock but I have heard they feel a little bit stiffer. They can go extremely low, low enough that the car won't be drivable at all. And the best thing about them is their price. $599+shipping with 1 year warranty!
http://www.stratmosphere.com/vmaxx.htm
You can probably make a small deal with these guys if you e-mail them and ask. I did a while ago and they said they would sell them for $620 shipped instead of $660. $40 isn't too big of a deal but it's worth a simple e-mail.

Or you could buy this guys used. I was just looking around and saw it.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4082861

Hope that helped

Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by aledelic42
I don't have them, but I plan on (if my Audi ever gets fixed!) V-MAXX coilovers for my A4. From what I hear and what you say, you sound like you would be happy with them. They supposedly use the same spring rate as stock but I have heard they feel a little bit stiffer. They can go extremely low, low enough that the car won't be drivable at all. And the best thing about them is their price. $599+shipping with 1 year warranty!
http://www.stratmosphere.com/vmaxx.htm
You can probably make a small deal with these guys if you e-mail them and ask. I did a while ago and they said they would sell them for $620 shipped instead of $660. $40 isn't too big of a deal but it's worth a simple e-mail.

Or you could buy this guys used. I was just looking around and saw it.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4082861

Hope that helped
Thanx star! These sound like a dream. I checked out the site and they look good. I just wish there were ppl on AF who have/had them, or have/had experience with them, that could attest to their quality. My only other concern, ironically enough, is the price. They're almost too cheap!! They seem to good to be true. That price hardly seems like enough for a quality suspension. I will keep looking at them.

Anybody with experience, please let me know what you think of them.

I have konis, your in brampton, im in mississauga. if you want, i could take your for a ride and you could see for yourself ride quality. PM me.
Mississauga!! I'll definitely pm you and check out the whip if/when I get some time and decide Kokni's are still appropriate.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:21 PM
3rd Gear

Some people on Vortex have them. I guess the biggest complain about them are that some people think they're too bouncy. But a lot of people say if the roads aren't too crazy where you live and you're getting them more for looks, they're perfect and feel great.
Here's some pictures of a bunch of B5s with them.

Vmaxx is more popular in mk4 land so I'm sure you can find pretty much info searching around those forums

Old 11-05-2008, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

Thankx...I'll check it out. Hope you don't mean they may be more 'bouncy' than stock b/c that is exactly what I don't want!

Quick Reply: coilover concerns....old timers, forgive me....