B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Coil Over Kit....opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Coil Over Kit....opinions

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Coilo...spagenameZWDVW

Or should I fork out the little extra for Eibachs and Bilsteins?

Old 04-23-2008, 09:26 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Coil Over Kit....opinions

well 1) they say won't fit Quattro in red on the page, also it took me a while of reading to find out what company the suspension is actually from

If you want Vmaxx, I'd go through Stratosphere and have peace of mind that they'll actually be there and they are not that much more expensive.

But a question for you... Do you drive your car hard at all? From everyone I've talked to Vmaxx, makes good coilovers and they can slam your car, basically put the frame on the ground, but they have marginally stiffer spring rates then stock, so the car basically rides stock so it will bottom out when you hit bumps and the like. They basically are great for Low and Slow and also show cars, but not made for the track, or hardcore mountain, spirited all the time driving.

After evaluating my oen driving style I decided that I like to take corners too fast for Vmaxx's to be a viable option for me. So I'm back on the hunt, right now I'm feeling FK's, you can get a set for about the price of Stasis and the guy's I'v talked to love them, they are a good comproise between stiff/comfort and can take a drop well.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:34 PM
1st Gear

Didnt see the red text there...must be going color blind. I drive my car the way I think it was designed to be driven so I would say it is driven hard but not beat. Im not looking for the slow show thing just something better in the corners. I was changing to my summer tires and cleaning my ABS sensors when I found my rear pass spring had a 4 inch piece broke off. I was wondering what that clunk sound was. I figured I need to start replacing that stuff might as well do it all at once and upgrade.

Another note, I live in an area where the roads are not the flatest of smoothest and some back roads are gravel.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:42 PM
6th Gear

IT sounds like Vmaxx's might be a little soft for you then, because it sounds like you drive like I do, quick but controlled and how a German car should be driven.

I would look into Koni, you can find them for $950 (about the 150 more than a proper spring setup) and they are height and dampening adjustable.

A few other options are Stasis(tuned Koni's), FK (the ones I'm looking into), KW (badass but $$$$), Tein (supposed to be good), H&R (supposed to be a pretty stiff ride), Ohlin(hella $$$$ and sick(in a good way))

here is a shot of an Avant of FK's (sitting just where I want to be one day)
Name:  slammed.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  74.9 KB

Old 04-23-2008, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

That looks really good but I think its a bit to low for me. So you do you think coil overs are the way to go. I live in Michigan and winters are a bitch so low is not good but if I could adjust them by the season instead of having to get an extra stock set that would be nice.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 PM
6th Gear

Yeah, apparently adjusting them is a pain, but whatever, that is my plan., raise her up for Ohio winter's(ha thats a joke) and then slam her for the summers.

I think Coilovers could be what you want or if you don't need that bad of a drop, then I'd do sport springs and while you might plow some snow around, you'll still be able to drive around in it.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

I just want it to be a bit tighter, but still versitile enough for michigan driving. I do want it a bit lower so I dont look like im driving a 4x4. They have to be replaced so im just trying to figure my best options here. and best bang for buck for what im looking for.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:21 PM
6th Gear

Maybe then you might be interested in some either H&R or Neusped Sport springs, they will drop you like 1.5in, and tighten the car up a decent amount but still give you the ability to get over speed bumps and thrugh high snowbanks from all that lake effect. Also then the Eibach it might do it for you too, but Eibach is supposed to be softer than H&R and Neuspeed. From what I've heard it goes (stiffest-softest) H&R>NeuSpeed>eibach.

Also there is Vogtland and tien which probably make springs that would suit you.

After that I'd say you might want springs over C/O if you are just looking for a little tighter, but still retaining a good amount of comfort and ride height.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

My buddy has Vogtlands on his 95 90Q and Bilstein shocks. I love how his car rides and I think he had them on all year. I think thats the way I'm going to go. Probably looking at 1K though huh.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 PM
6th Gear

yeah I guess so

Quick Reply: Coil Over Kit....opinions