B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Clutches and friction and pedal position!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Clutches and friction and pedal position!

Good Afternoon, All:

The car: 99.5 A4 2.8. Stock.
The problem: The clutch pedal is getting really high. I know that usually means a new clutch is in my near future (the car has 102k miles on the original clutch, so not a real shock), but in the meantime, is there any way to adjust where the pedal "grabs"? The pedal is so damned high now that it's getting hard to clutch the car well, especially starting uphill. 90% of the pedal throw does nothing, and all of the action is in the last 10% at the top of pedal travel. Other than a block of wood on the pedal, do I have an adjustment option?

Question 2: about how much is a clutch job, installed? I'd do it myself, but I don't have a lift

Thanks!
-Red

Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Clutches and friction and pedal position!

yes... replace the clutch!

The clutch is hydrolically actuated, so there is no adjustment really. Yes, you can mess with the pushrod, but that will be messed up when you do actually replace the clutch. You know what's worng, why are you looking for band-aids?

Old 06-20-2008, 12:20 AM
4th Gear

The clutch disk is just getting too thin which means less movement of the pressure plate is needed before the disk surface is no longer touching the pressure plate or flywheel surface. Its just time to replace the clutch with a new one.

Clutch install time is around 8 hrs, so just figure in the amount per hr that the shops near you tend to charge.

If you need a SB clutch I have them on sale and include shipping for the 48 states. I only have the 1.8T clutch kits listed on my site but I am able to get the SB clutch kits for the 2.8 and even a custom modified stage 3 clutch that not all SB dealers can sell.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

Yes, I do know what's wrong, but I just did the timing belt on my A6, so the car fund is a little tight at this very moment, hence my looking to stall for a few weeks/months. It just picked a bad time to start getting really bad (of course!).

Thank you for the input. :-)

Old 06-20-2008, 08:55 AM
5th Gear

well the grab on the stock clutch is supposed to be really high on our cars. get up to 30mph, put it in 5th and floor it. if your rpms don't shoot up then your clutch is good.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

"well the grab on the stock clutch is supposed to be really high on our cars."

I've read that a lot of times in a lot of places. I can't figure out why Audi would have done that from the factory, as I find having a high release on the clutch to be a real detriment to shifting clean and quick, especially when you're gettin' on it. The A6 clutch, which is heavier and relases lower, is a lot faster to work. Anyone have a good idea as to why they would have done that?

Or is it just me and a screwy clutching style?

Old 06-20-2008, 04:38 PM
5th Gear

it's just the way you drive. get used to it and it'll become natural. a way to trick your mind is getting a clutch stopper. it's this thing that attaches to the back of your clutch so it doesn't go all the way. bmw guys use it a lot.