B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Clutch questions.. Stage 1? 2? Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Clutch questions.. Stage 1? 2? Stock?

Looking to get my clutch replaced (it's starting to slip, ~130k on the clock, etc)

but I'm not sure if I should get the stock kit, stage 1, stage 2, etc?

Car is a 1.8t ATW, apr stage 1 chip and I don't foresee me upgrading the turbo's in the future, maybe just a couple other mods.

Thoughts?

Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Legal Moderator

how much do you want to spend?

I've put two ECS Tuning RA4 clutches in (different cars) and am very happy with the whole package. Since it has an S4 disk, it wont slip.

If you're flywheel is still in good shape, you might get away with just replacing the disk and PP. But the dual mass flywheels tend to degrade over time and since you will have it apart, it may be the right time to replace it. The RA4 clutch comes with another flywheel

Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

Since it'll be a one time cost for the rest of the car life, I don't mind spending a LITTLE more and get something of quality.

So you like this one?
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...rmance/ES5485/

Old 04-08-2014, 06:18 PM
2nd Gear

If you're keeping the stock turbo or even doing a K04 the Valeo single mass kit would be perfect. It's cheap (barely more than just a LUK clutch kit), the flywheel is nice and heavy so it still feels stock, and it'll easily outlast the rest of the car. No point in doing the RA4 unless you're going frankenturbo/elim or bigger.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by swimbikerunrun
Since it'll be a one time cost for the rest of the car life, I don't mind spending a LITTLE more and get something of quality.

So you like this one?
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...rmance/ES5485/
Yup, that's the one I like. Same one I run.

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
If you're keeping the stock turbo or even doing a K04 the Valeo single mass kit would be perfect. It's cheap (barely more than just a LUK clutch kit), the flywheel is nice and heavy so it still feels stock, and it'll easily outlast the rest of the car. No point in doing the RA4 unless you're going frankenturbo/elim or bigger.
Is that you or metalman that runs the Valeo clutch?

Either way, I can only recommend the RA4 clutch the way I do since I own one. I also like that it uses stock S4 components, besides the flywheel of course.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:18 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
Is that you or metalman that runs the Valeo clutch?

Either way, I can only recommend the RA4 clutch the way I do since I own one. I also like that it uses stock S4 components, besides the flywheel of course.
I've been running a Valeo kit for just under 1k km, I can't make any qualified statements on how it compares to an RA4 but a flywheel that light can't be great for daily driving. That being said, I am planning on getting an RA4 or the JHM B7 RS4 kit when I get a bigger turbo. Only because there's really no other choice though, if there was an option with a heavier FW I'd take it without a second thought.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Legal Moderator

I can't make any qualified statements on how it compares to an RA4 but a flywheel that light can't be great for daily driving.
That's what EVERYONE says. Guess what? I have never noticed any drawback to the lightened flywheel.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
That's what EVERYONE says. Guess what? I have never noticed any drawback to the lightened flywheel.
I also run this flywheel/kit and it's my daily. I can't shift as smooth as stock, under ~1750 rpm in 3-5 gears it's kinda rough) and when I let off the gas hard it snaps forward. But it's a great kit and I would do it again. None of these are deal breakers, and you get used to it and learn to deal with it. The pros outweigh the cons by far

Last edited by Pbcrazy; 04-08-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
The pros outweigh the cons by far
Definitely, but in this case OP doesn't need the torque holding capacity of an RA4, so why pay almost double for an overkill clutch that isn't as smooth? I've seen the Valeo kit sell for less than $350, that's an unbeatable deal.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 PM
2nd Gear

Definitely, but in this case OP doesn't need the torque holding capacity of an RA4, so why pay almost double for an overkill clutch that isn't as smooth? I've seen the Valeo kit sell for less than $350, that's an unbeatable deal.
Very true, if the you (OP) have no plans to go bigger than a regular clutch is better than a RA4. If you think you might consider it later on then just do it know and save yourself the headache of doing it again later. Honestly the smoothness isn't a problem, I hardly notice it. Just when somebody else is in your car they generally ask why you suck at shifting lol.

Quick Reply: Clutch questions.. Stage 1? 2? Stock?