B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Clutch Pedal Position Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Clutch Pedal Position Safety Switch

Over the last couple of days, several times I've depressed the clutch and turned the key to get nothing. Doesn't happen every time. I've found that holding the key turned and dropping the clutch and depressing again it will crank. Is there an adjustment for this interlock? Time to replace? What do you call this switch?

Thanks

2000 1.8 ATW

Edit. Boy am I lucky. Ride would not start in driveway this morning. Lucky it was in the driveway and not away somewhere. Had to drive the F150 (no fun and 15 mpg) to work. Just finished bypassing the switch (used the modified paperclip/electircal tape method) and it cranked right up. Removed the panal under the dash (4 screws - one hidden in fuse box, one each behind two rectangular trim pieces below steering wheel left and right, and one on right under dash. There is a clip on the switch which holds it in place. My clip went "zing" and disappeared, so careful when you do it. EOM

Old 03-26-2008, 08:07 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Press Clutch to start engine problem

Try turning the key on and them pumping the clutch a few times. If this fixes the problem it might be the throw out bearing, slave, or any other billion problems... I had a similar problem on mine and blew the clutch on the way home from work... WATCH OUT

Old 03-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Could also be the switch - on other cars that I've owned, there's a switch on the clutch pedal arm, and when you press in the clutch, it closes the switch and allows the car to start. You would probably have two switches - one that is closed when the pedal is released, and one that is closed when you press the pedal. The one that's closed when the pedal is out would be for your cruise control (when you push in the pedal, it opens the switch and turns off the cruise, so that your engine doesn't accelerate). The one that closes when you push in the pedal completes the starter circuit and allows the car to start. This is to ensure that the car can't lurch forward when you turn the key, in the event that you start the car in gear. Check on the clutch pedal arm and you should see them. The one you'd need to mess with would be close to the firewall.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:04 AM

yeh.....this car has a clutch safety start switch. you could be "getto" and jumper the wires for a quick fix.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:05 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: pimphell

yeh.....this car has a clutch safety start switch. you could be "getto" and jumper the wires for a quick fix.
I'd do it before it leaves you stranded without the tools to. Then when you get the part, repair it.