B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Clutch master cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Default Clutch master cylinder?

For a while now my clutch has been feeling on the soft side. f/e when I go from driving my dad's brand new B7 back to my car (1998 2.8QM) it feels like I have no clutch. I went in for an estimate today, and described the problem to the guy and he said it is probably the clutch master cylinder. Can anyone else verify? The car just turned 142k today

Symptoms: no slipping in higher gears, but very soft engagement near the top end of pedal travel (clutch disengages after about 1/2" of pedal travel)

Old 08-25-2008, 06:03 PM

ah, I also want to find out WHERE the master cylinder is so I can visually inspect it

also more symptom help...Ive been noticing a possibly hydraulic-y smell similar to when my family's 1995 A6 was leaking power steering fluid (but my power steering is fine). There's no fluid leaking onto the ground and its more noticeable after the car's been driven. Hope this helps

btw this isnt the only repair this car's gotta go into. i gotta fix a leaky flex pipe aka my cat-forward exhaust system

Old 08-26-2008, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

im having the same issue my clutch feels might soft these days
but im running a 97 2.8QM
i love it so ftw right but id like to know where it is also to know if i can fill it with the appropriate fluid or whatever needs to be done
not trying to steal your thread sorry
oh and i only have 73,276 miles on mine though

Old 08-26-2008, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

I had the same problem then last sat just lost the pedal. Got it fixed today, so look out for that!

Old 08-26-2008, 01:04 PM
5th Gear

mine's been soft ever since i got it but upstatenya4's clutch feels a lot harder than mine. i've been driving like that for over a year now and no problem

Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 PM
2nd Gear

id guess it could be the master or slave cylinder or possibly a leak somewhere in the hydraulic line or maybe you need a new clutch... alot of people have to replace theirs around 100-120k. mine started slipping awhile ago (around 123k miles on it) but im putting a new one in

Old 08-26-2008, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

I too just had a similiar problem so dont stray to far from your home or a mechanic shop cause your clutch is about to go.

My clutch wasnt slipping at all but trying to take off it would buck like a bish. Eventually it felt like I had no power but, I had enough power to finishing burning the hell out of it while driving up the flat bed's elevated bed.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:59 PM

anyone know WHERE the master cylinder is located on the B5?

Old 08-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Site Moderator

So let me get this straight, you went from driving your dad's B7 then go back to yours and now if feels like its soft? I think you have whats called p**** envy.
The clutch pressure plate on a B7 is much stronger than a B5, so the pedal will feel much harder to push down. It doesn't mean there is a problem with the slave cylinder on your car. If your slave was leaking the pedal probably wouldn't come up from the floor.
You would need an S4 replacement clutch to get close to the same feel as a B7.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 AM

no no no, you got it all wrong

the B7's clutch feels a lot lighter than my B5's clutch, which has always been on the heavy side. my problem is with the engagement point. the clutch disengages within the first 3/4" or so of pedal travel, which is not normal for this car, or any car for that matter (hence the comparo with the B7). while the car is still driveable, i know i have a problem, and i'm just trying to find out what kind/how big a problem i have on my hands.

as much as I envy my parents' rides (my mom has an 05 Mini Cooper S 6spd with the full sport pkg) I love the the B5 more cause is mine and I want to give her the care she deserves

Quick Reply: Clutch master cylinder?