B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Is this a clutch issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Question Is this a clutch issue?

I am driving a 99 2.8Q Manual and in the last few days I have noticed that if I floor the gas the revs will increase for a second before the car responds.

I have 105K on the clock.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Sounds like it. Quick test to confirm it - get the car around 30-35mph, put it in 5th gear, and floor the gas hard. If the clutch is going to slip, that'll make it slip.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Sounds like it. Quick test to confirm it - get the car around 30-35mph, put it in 5th gear, and floor the gas hard. If the clutch is going to slip, that'll make it slip.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

Same thing just happened to me, clutch is slipping, you can control it for the most part by not slamming on the gas. I will say when i dropped the trans, my clutch disk had more then 50% left. The Input shaft seal/ release bearing guide tube (Seal is built into release bearing guide tube) had been leaking onto the entire clutch system. Therefor the dish was saturated in oil, had it not been leaking she woulda lasted a ton longer. Just something to keep in mind, possibly ask the tech to check it. When u replace the clutch u have to ask yourself when do i want to have to replace this again. If the answer is not anytime soon then i would replace this list of components.

Clutch kit (disk,pressure plate, release bearing)
Pilot Bearing
Rear main seal
Release bearing guide tube
Flywheel (People say you can turn them, ive never been one for a gamble so i wouldnt know)

That should do you well, i also went ahead and installed the jhm short throw shifter, added a nice touch, stiffened up shifting for a more crisp feel.

Goodluck

Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

Same thing just happened to me, clutch is slipping, you can control it for the most part by not slamming on the gas. I will say when i dropped the trans, my clutch disk had more then 50% left. The Input shaft seal/ release bearing guide tube (Seal is built into release bearing guide tube) had been leaking onto the entire clutch system. Therefor the dish was saturated in oil, had it not been leaking she woulda lasted a ton longer. Just something to keep in mind, possibly ask the tech to check it. When u replace the clutch u have to ask yourself when do i want to have to replace this again. If the answer is not anytime soon then i would replace this list of components.

Clutch kit (disk,pressure plate, release bearing)
Pilot Bearing
Rear main seal
Release bearing guide tube
Flywheel (People say you can turn them, ive never been one for a gamble so i wouldnt know)

That should do you well, i also went ahead and installed the jhm short throw shifter, added a nice touch, stiffened up shifting for a more crisp feel.

Goodluck

Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 AM

OK so I noticed in first gear it's not an issue but if I am doing around 20-30 mph in second and floor, she's slipping. Now I have pumped a dose in the car in 2009

Door handle issue
Wiper issue
ABS computer
Rear brakes

I noticed the other week that there is a small coolant leak but it's slowed thanks to the kick assed cold weather here (1.5 liters every three weeks). And now this clutch.

Guessing clutch work is about $1K makes me wonder is it worth pumping anything more or is it time to take this car to it's retirement home?

Old 12-12-2009, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

Sorry to say, but your going to pay wayyy more then $1,000. The parts alone are way more then that. You have to decide if its really worth it to you. How much do u like the car, how long have you had it, how much would a new car payment be? How many miles are on the engine? Many things you have to think about.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 AM

Yeah, I just called my mechanic. He's going to look at it and give me a price tomorrow. I'll post it here so others can see. Note my mechanic is a whopping $58/hour. So it's the parts that will kill me I think.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:25 AM
2nd Gear

you can find clutch kits on ebay for $300 or so... i would just go with something like that.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:27 PM
4th Gear

If you need a clutch let me know, you should only need a stage 1 clutch for your 2.8. If you buy a SB clutch they will resurface the flywheel for free, you just pay for shipping to them and back to you along with your clutch kit. I actually offer this right on my web site.

I also offer this if buying as CM clutch, its just a low price for the option.

A4 2.8 clutch kits

Quick Reply: Is this a clutch issue?