B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Clutch Insanity

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Site Moderator

Thanks, I suppose the real problem is lack bodies to help roll it into the garage! I had it set in my mind that I was going to replace the control arms while I had it in the air. I guess that can wait.

Originally Posted by auditech79
The luk clutch is ok, won't hold more than 250 hp though.
Same for the Sachs?

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-22-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Site Moderator

Sachs is about the same as luk, which is about the same as stock.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:22 PM
4th Gear

Re-surfacing the flywheel can increase the heat exposed to the clutch disc and pressure plate, so it would toast the new clutch in no time. Not to mention its almost the same material used in our brake discs which is very soft, so it tends to warp even easier when decreasing the thickness. You can do what i did and just scuff the stock flywheel up with a grinder and sand disc, as long as it doesn't have too many hot spots on they flywheel you should be ok.
Sorry but that makes no sense at all. I had my stock DM flywheel resurfaced 3 times and had zero issues with it burning up any clutch I had in there, even lasted a pretty long time with the 200-250whp my car was making and going to the drag strip every single weekend. Scuffing up the disk just cleans the surface but will not remove any high spots and the only reason to have it resurfaced is to remove those high spots. Just like rotors the flywheel can only be resurfaced so many times, after that the surface is too far down to allow the clutch to be forced against it by the pressure plate and at that point any clutch you put in there is going to slip all the time.

I wouldn't suggest anything less then a Sach preformance clutch or a SB stage 3 for a chipped K03 setup.

BTW the SB stage 3 for a stock flywheel uses a Iron disk.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Site Moderator

Is the stock clutch sprung? I've read that they are, but the OEM parts I see like luk and sachs are not.

nm. I finally learned that dmfw uses unsprung and smfw/lwfw uses sprung....Right?

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-22-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:05 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Is the stock clutch sprung? I've read that they are, but the OEM parts I see like luk and sachs are not.

nm. I finally learned that dmfw uses unsprung and smfw/lwfw uses sprung....Right?
Stock and after market use a unsprung disk for the stock flywheel. Sprung is for a LWFW. There is a guy(ian) that did get a sprung 6 puck from Clutch.net for his stock flywheel.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Site Moderator

Audi doesn't recommend re-surfacing the flywheel or the brake discs.....ever. So im just going by what the crazy germans say.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:14 PM
4th Gear

Audi doesn't recommend re-surfacing the flywheel or the brake discs.....ever. So im just going by what the crazy germans say.
LOL, yeah that has to do with them wanting to sell you new parts.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Site Moderator

No, i have re-surfaced brake rotors before as well as other mechanics at the dealer and had the cars come back in 15 thousand miles because their brake pads had already worn out. Im applying that same theory to the flywheel. Places like 2bennett won't even let you re-surface the flywheel because they believe your wasting your money.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:23 PM
4th Gear

No, i have re-surfaced brake rotors before as well as other mechanics at the dealer and had the cars come back in 15 thousand miles because their brake pads had already worn out. Im applying that same theory to the flywheel. Places like 2bennett won't even let you re-surface the flywheel because they believe your wasting your money.
In the 7+ years of dealing with clutch setups for the A4 1.8t, I have never seen or heard of such a problem.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Site Moderator

Well you can do what you want mike, im just giving the knowledge that i got from the transmission/gearbox class from audi in the ontario campus. I have had heard problems of that nature at the dealer before actually, clutch replaced 40k ago (2nd clutch) and now the pedal sinks to the floor and won't come up. I pull the tranny out and the clutch disc is completely destroyed. Its happened quite frequently when i worked at Niello. That could also be poor driving so who knows. There was some long and crazy explaination that i got from the germans about it, but it was like learning a foreign language.

Quick Reply: Clutch Insanity