B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Clutch and flywheel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:22 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by kayakman13
Sounds great! Ok, I think you've sold me. How much do you charge for a FX300 kit? I just want the clutch/pressure plate/etc, no flywheel.

Also, what are some good signs that the flywheel needs to be replaced?
$625 and that includes ground shipping in the 48 states. http://www.ringer-racing.com/product...=4&productId=5

Here is a write up by SB that allows you to test the stock flwyheel, this will give you a good idea if it needs to be replaced or not.

If you need a quicker response to your questions feel free to email me at Info@ringer-racing.com, you can also call the number on the web site any time between 8am and 9pm PST.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 07-29-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:35 AM
2nd Gear

damn. Looks like I might need a new flywheel according to SB. Its stock. all 178k on it. and I'm increasing horses and hoping to keep the car longer. So a few more questions. (thanks again mike!)
Aluminum or steel? Single or dual mass? Benefits of lightweight? Less lifetime with lightweight? Clutchmasters or Southbend? and of course, pricing if you have it. Thanks so much for your time and help mike!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by kayakman13
damn. Looks like I might need a new flywheel according to SB. Its stock. all 178k on it. and I'm increasing horses and hoping to keep the car longer. So a few more questions. (thanks again mike!)
Aluminum or steel? Single or dual mass? Benefits of lightweight? Less lifetime with lightweight? Clutchmasters or Southbend? and of course, pricing if you have it. Thanks so much for your time and help mike!
For a street car i would suggest Billet Steel. The much lighter Aluminum flywheels are better suited for road racing since the driver will have more control over rev matching. The lighter Aluminum flywheels also allow more gear rattle noise to be heard since the material is less dense vs Billet Steel, this is only heard when you are out of gear and not touching the clutch pedal. Usually heard the most when sitting next to another car or a wall/curbe that allows the sound to bounce off of it and up to an open window.

Single mass, aftermarket flywheels do not come in a dual mass version.

A lighter flywheel allows the engine to be more responsive to the throttle since there is less rotating weight. Dont want to go too light since that will also make moving the car from a stop on the street a little harder and will need more rpms to over come the fact that the flywheel speed will slow down more as the clutch is being applied. Lighter flywheel loses inertia quicker as the clutch is engaged and when shift gears.

For SB clutch orders I offer the SB billet steel flywheels for $400.
http://www.ringer-racing.com/product...=4&productId=1

I offer a Billet steel flywheel package for the FX300 or FX400 6 puck for $950 shipped in the 48 states. That package brings the cost of the flywheel down to $325 vs the $472.50 retail price tag or $120 off my normal sale prices which is why the package setup is a great deal. http://www.ringer-racing.com/product...=4&productId=5

When my customers order a SB clutch with one of the SB flywheels they also get a set of flywheel bolts and pressure bolts included with their order at no extra charge, the clutch kit is also a modified version done by SB which increases the clamping pressure and is also included at no extra charge. My customers that order the CM clutch/flywheel package also get a set of flywheel bolts(non stretch) and pressure plate bolts at no charge, just trying to give my customers the most for their money.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 07-29-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 PM
2nd Gear

lol, wow I can see that mike!
Well, your prices are very competitve to say the least. I'll probably stop by the store when I get some money saved up. Any suggestions on what to expect for installation labor?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:25 PM

Ok, thanks Mike, I am not going to be able to use that flywheel because mine is a 12v

Old 07-29-2009, 03:54 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by paskalee
Ok, thanks Mike, I am not going to be able to use that flywheel because mine is a 12v
Yeah I wasn't sure which one you had seeing that they show the 97 coming with either the 12v or 30v, I guess there was a mid year split there.