B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:15 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
When you guys convert to a solid flywheel, do you notice a significant difference in the engagement, or is it something your foot gets used to pretty quickly?
I put a HD race clutch & flywheel in mine, so it grabs like vice grips now, but I'm already used to it. I can drive it like it were still stock. It's the break in period that's weird, but that's where you get used to it.

Originally Posted by zero-o-matic
wait so the 1.8l is a single clutch? and the 2.8l is a duel clutch?
1.8t is a dual mass from the factory.

Originally Posted by MetalMan
It's going to depend on the pressure plate. Some clutches will have different engagement points than others, most will have a lower engagement point.

1.8T and 2.8 both come with dual mass flywheels from the factory. Since the 1.8T has a larger selection of clutches/flywheels, many people choose to convert to a single mass flywheel to avoid potential problems with the stock (expensive) dual mass flywheel.
+1 Single mass has way more options. It's much more simplified. Setups are much cheaper, less labor and you can get setups that are even stronger than the (expensive) dual mass.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

Ill be doing the clutch myself. any good deals anyone knows of? looking to put a clutch in and sell. Wanna work on my daily driver.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 AM
2nd Gear

You can get a kit on ebay with the single flywheel for your car, or through ECS Tuning, not too expensive. Depending on miles, resurfacing can be bad or not possible. NO ONE will warranty their clutch kit if the Dual Flywheel is NOT resurfaced. it is VERY hard to find someone who will resurface it. If you're not racing, you will hardly notice a difference in your clutch.

Here's a great how to on doing the clutch in a 2.8:
Audi A4 Clutch Replacement | Happy Wrenching

Old 09-06-2014, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

Just be careful that the parts that you're getting aren't complete ****, It's going to cost a bunch though unless you install it yourself.