B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

clicking sound when turning left?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:04 PM
1st Gear
Default clicking sound when turning left?

I cant tell if its just because the car is cold or if somehting is wrong. I noticed today that when i turn left from a stop (and possbily while rolling but i havnt done that yet) i hear like a creak and then a clicking sound but it is really quiet and i can only really hear it with the windows open and the inside of the car silent. Any ideas what this is or if i should be worried?
Thanks

Old 12-29-2010, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

CV joint. Nothing to get overly worried about. If it's clicking then it's already bad. However, if it starts clicking when you go straight also, then it's time to get it fixed.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Actually if it's clicking in a straight line you may want to pull to the shoulder before it blows (past experience in a prior car - it clicked in a straight line and blew within a half mile). You can "drive around it" for the time being by being gentle when you go through a turn under power and by not flooring it in a straight line, but I'd deal with it sooner than later, just to be safe. It may be fine for now but it can take a fast turn for the worse and if it starts binding you've got very little time left.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Actually if it's clicking in a straight line you may want to pull to the shoulder before it blows (past experience in a prior car - it clicked in a straight line and blew within a half mile). You can "drive around it" for the time being by being gentle when you go through a turn under power and by not flooring it in a straight line, but I'd deal with it sooner than later, just to be safe. It may be fine for now but it can take a fast turn for the worse and if it starts binding you've got very little time left.
Crap lol. I listened again last night after the car cooled down and when I left the driveway around 3 rpm before I shifted into second I heard it click, but then after acouple stop and go' s it stopped clicking? I still hear it on the left turn but sometimes it does it n other times it doesn't?

Old 12-30-2010, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

also if im gonna replace the joints is there anything else i should do right away while im under there?

Old 12-30-2010, 02:32 PM
2nd Gear

That varies from car to car... You should only need to replace one CV joint if you only hear the noise turning left. Probably the left joint. The offending joint should have a ripped boot. Replace the joint. Check the other CV joint boots and replace just the boots and repack new grease if you have no more clicking noise.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:21 PM
5th Gear

After reading the thread title I was going to say Turn Signal, but these guys have much better answers.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:51 PM
1st Gear

you are all going to hate me but i need help. Does anyone have a good cv kit link for this? ive looked at acouple but idk which ones are decent. Is this somehting i should just get from the audi dealer? And i read that i dont need to replace the inner cv joints? Should i just do the innner boots? And the rear?

Old 01-01-2011, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

also the front wheel bearings have never been done so i figured i do that right away too. so r there good kits for that one too? Thanks A LOT!