B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

chokes and dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 PM
1st Gear
Default chokes and dies

Earlier today...I was headed out of my driveway and my car started to hesitate when pushing on the gas. I finally came to a stop at a red light and notice my rpms jumping up and down...at the same time the rpms is slowly dropping down to "0" and the car dying. When I tried to start the car...the car would start but die right after and maybe would stay longer if i had my foot on the gas but again would die after i took my foot off of it. The weird thing is i notice my outside temp on the dash at 95(air) degrees when i know it shouldn't be no more than 70...also, when i let the car sit and cool down and turn the car on position..the outside temp would slowly rise for no reason....whats wrong with my ""99.5 audi a4 1.8T tip Quattro""?

Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 PM

My suggestion would be to take out your spark plugs and look into the cylinders. If you see a lot of carbon build up, it could be a leaking gasket. If you see oil leaking around your valve cover gaskets, it could be the culprit. Try seafoaming the car then and hope that the carbon build up doesn't snap your crankshaft.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:29 AM
1st Gear

I will check on that tomorrow morning....but what's the name of the sensor thats displayed on my digital dashboard, telling me the outside temp? Because every time I try to start the call and it fails...the temp jump up to 20 degrees higher in less than 30 sec's....im thinking this is causing my car to go crazy. Does the sensor actually control anything?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:34 AM

Don't know the name of the sensor, but I believe it sits in the front bumper, don;t quote me on that though, and I really don't think that would be the reason your engine would die like that. How many miles are on the engine?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:44 AM

did your car throw a check engine light?

Old 04-01-2009, 03:35 AM
1st Gear

There is 157,000 on the motor/car and I tried to use a obd2 reader but its not linking to the car properly and showing error messages when trying to connect. Why is digital air temp sensor rising so fast and can someone tell me how to find it and the name? The car seems to start fine in the morning but when the motor is warm up...the dash digital air temp start to rise 20+ degrees than normal and then thats when all the trouble starts again....and its not the engine temp because thats in the middle when it warm up....

...forgot to mention...
"8 days ago i drove from southern california to northern california on a 380 mile drive at night and hit a blown truck tire going 85 mph on the front right end(passenger side) of my bumper which it tore off...but it only look cosmetic and no actually engine damage."

Last edited by dOuchBaGd; 04-01-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Slut

the external temp sensor is probably sitting against something thats warm... and id check under there for anything out of the ordinary... make sure the diverter valve is still in tact. Quality pics could def help us help you

Old 04-01-2009, 03:30 PM
3rd Gear

external temp sensor or ambient air temp sensor depending on who you ask. its attached just in front of the radiator on the drivers side behind the bumper. i would guess that you have a leak somewhere, a boost gauge would confirm this. a bad intake air temp sensor (not the one that controls the dash temp) could possibly screw with fuel delivery but not normaly this severely. another possibility would be a bad MAF.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

i started my car this morning and saw white smoke steadily coming out of my exhaust and when i look in the engine bay there is light white smoke appearing from the turbo. Whats going on???! HELP! thanks

Old 04-01-2009, 07:30 PM

a friend of mine had a legacy and the same thing happened to him when he blew an oil feed line to the turbo (power loss and white smoke). i am pretty sure there is some kind of oil leak at the turbo thats the first thing i would check

Last edited by bigtm792; 04-01-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: chokes and dies