B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Chip question, give me some imput on yours

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:46 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Chip question, give me some imput on yours

ORIGINAL: fuzz_duster

IMO I would take all this money that I would spend on upgrades for my current car, save it up, then turn around and sell the car and add the saved money and get myself an s4 or something that is MADE to go fast. A4's are quick cars, but everyone knows they're no rex or evo (not as ricey, lol). I mean yeah, there's ways you can get these cars up to like 400+ horses, but with all that money why not just invest in a nicer, quicker (stock) car, and then go for some upgrades. Just my 2 cents. Thats what I'm thinking of doing. Get a chip and the basic stuff, but if you're thinking of throwing G's out for new turbo's, I would consider my option.
1998.5 laser red A4 1.8TM, bone stock. To go from Bone Stock to all of this!

Giac chip, DV, short shifter, HID lights, new wheels/tires, 1" drop, window tints, rs4 bumper, side skirts, painted lowers, tinted tails, FMIC, heat shield, borla ex., full santorian blue paint- SOON TO COME. Your gonna be spending alot of money! alot more than I'm gonna spend! Might as well get you and S4!!!lol

Anyways, I decided to go with the GIAC chip! F it! Sending mines out on monday they should get by Tuesday and get it back to me by Wednesday or Thursday. I'll let you guys know what I think and what my fuel economy is like. he was pretty atament about saying that the only turbo he runs with it is the Ko4 but I'll wait on the turbo, next up after the chip is the fmic and I'm thinking about doing a magnaflow muffler about $180 with a custom exhaust or just shelling out the dough for a complete borla exhaust. We'll see! Wanna say thanks again for everyones input!

Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: DavidTurbo

ORIGINAL: fuzz_duster

IMO I would take all this money that I would spend on upgrades for my current car, save it up, then turn around and sell the car and add the saved money and get myself an s4 or something that is MADE to go fast. A4's are quick cars, but everyone knows they're no rex or evo (not as ricey, lol). I mean yeah, there's ways you can get these cars up to like 400+ horses, but with all that money why not just invest in a nicer, quicker (stock) car, and then go for some upgrades. Just my 2 cents. Thats what I'm thinking of doing. Get a chip and the basic stuff, but if you're thinking of throwing G's out for new turbo's, I would consider my option.
1998.5 laser red A4 1.8TM, bone stock. To go from Bone Stock to all of this!

Giac chip, DV, short shifter, HID lights, new wheels/tires, 1" drop, window tints, rs4 bumper, side skirts, painted lowers, tinted tails, FMIC, heat shield, borla ex., full santorian blue paint- SOON TO COME. Your gonna be spending alot of money! alot more than I'm gonna spend! Might as well get you and S4!!!lol

yeah, but thats all over a span of about a year or so, not all at once. And that will also add a lot to the re-sale price when I decide to get rid of it for a nicer, newer car. BUt thats not for another 5 or so years, so I'm just gunna focus on one thing at a time and enjoy this car while I have it. Hopefully I'll be spending more money on mods than fixing things though.....I'm already at 160k mi. SHe runs beautifully, and was babied by the last (and only)owner, so as long as I keep up on maitinance I should be good.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:29 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: DavidTurbo

Anyways, I decided to go with the GIAC chip! F it! Sending mines out on monday they should get by Tuesday and get it back to me by Wednesday or Thursday. I'll let you guys know what I think and what my fuel economy is like. he was pretty atament about saying that the only turbo he runs with it is the Ko4 but I'll wait on the turbo, next up after the chip is the fmic and I'm thinking about doing a magnaflow muffler about $180 with a custom exhaust or just shelling out the dough for a complete borla exhaust. We'll see! Wanna say thanks again for everyones input!

here's the guy that ran 13.3 at 14psi (spiking 20) w/ a gt2x on pc-16 software

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothr...ostid=28371708

also WhiteG60 ran a 13.2 w/ 380 injectors stock intercooler and street tires. pc-16 can definitely be used w/ the gt2x, i was tossing around the idea for ***** and giggles to run a gt2x for a little while, it wouldn't cost me much.

don't get a borla exhaust, the stock exhaust is 2.17", borla is 2.25". you want at least 2.5", 3" is better. techtonics is 2.5" w/ borla muffler, but it would be cheaper to get custom piping and a borla muffler.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

Just saw some nice maganflow mufflers on the infamous "ebay" for about $175, theyre 2.5" with dual tips and come in chrome kinda like the aftermarket one from apr, borla and nuespeed. Anyone running one of these mufflers? how do they sound? any opinions for or against them?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:03 PM
5th Gear

https://www.audiforums.com/m_809453/tm.htm

i assume your talking about the 14816

Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

Actually here's the 14816 $190http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=380015815970

I was thinking about going with the 14805 $175 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=380015815967this one is identical to the 14816 except this one is three inches and the tips are much shorter, I think it looks nicer.

or the 14862 $220 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=380015816002which is the same length as the original 14816 but the tips look a little more oem, kinda has a "Borla look" to them.

I think they should all sound about the same, also theyres a 14807$175 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=380015816003 that looks identical to the 14805 but instaed of dual 3.5" tips it has dual 4" tips, might be a little over the top though and these two are the cheapest and smallest ones. Should be easier tomanuever and work an exhaust out of than the other two.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

CPU on a UPS truck!! Cant wait to get it back!!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear

Got it today! Wow what a difference! went from 5psi spiking 7 to 15psi spiking 17! Feels like a totally different car! AWEtuning.com was awesome, worked with John, great guy. He got it yesterday, and sent it out ground shipping, I got it today at 6pm from ups. Threw it in and wow! It really is the best bang for the buck! I've been beating on it so i've been getting around 18mpg but next week I'll see how I do with gas mileage when I drive it to work.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:54 AM
1st Gear

i have the giac. its manual i hardly ever drive on the highway. but i don't live in the city. not a lot of stop and go but lots of miles to get where you want to get. i'm averaging like 27 mpg around here in the poconos, but i exercise self control. haha all i can tell you is i think that i get better mileage with it, than without it. and its definately a lot more fun. it actually feels like the right motor for the car now. not so underpowered. i went with the giac only cause you get lifetime upgrades for free where i got it from.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Site Moderator

Dude this thread is old as hell. Most of the people who posted in it arent even active members anymore. All k03 chips are too similar in gains to get very technical. Just pick one and youll be happy and also be able to keep up with the rest.