B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Chip question, give me some imput on yours

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:32 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Chip question, give me some imput on yours

the quattro tranny is rated at 330 ft lbs of tq and since most BT's don't produce above that, you can pretty much run whatever you want. you wana start maxing out turbo's, running them on race gas and meth, you should level 10 the valve body. the tranny is a lot stronger than people used to think

and i dont know what sport mode is, but GIAC has a TIP chip that decreases shift time pretty considerably.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:54 AM

That's a number I could live with...that's the the number I found tryin to find a rebuild kit and shift kit for my tranny. Which I'm unsure one even exists. Thanks for that spec it gives me a lot more confidence in modding this car

Old 05-01-2008, 11:12 AM
5th Gear

there are 2 places. level 10 and some other place that i can't remember at the moment. ill post it up if i remember

www.levelten.com

Old 05-01-2008, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

Damn I still dont know what to do! I'm dying to get one already. APR will give me better fuel economy but less fun or power and not upgradeable. GIAC is stronger and has the pc16 file but it might hurt the fuel econmy and I'm not sure if the k04 is even worth it for the money that has to be spent to get that extra 40-50 hp from the k04 also looks like it will work with a gt2x but that might not be very reliable. The unitronics cant be flashed in a 99(has to be chipped in like the rest of them), its the most expensive but does have some better fuel economy for stage1 and is the only one that supports a big turbo later on but its also still more expensive later on. My car has 142k and I dont know how strong or much I can push the engine. Still have a stock clutch and I know that in 2-3 years I wanna get a B6. Maybe I'm just putting too much though into this! I dont know

Old 05-02-2008, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

IMO I would take all this money that I would spend on upgrades for my current car, save it up, then turn around and sell the car and add the saved money and get myself an s4 or something that is MADE to go fast. A4's are quick cars, but everyone knows they're no rex or evo (not as ricey, lol). I mean yeah, there's ways you can get these cars up to like 400+ horses, but with all that money why not just invest in a nicer, quicker (stock) car, and then go for some upgrades. Just my 2 cents. Thats what I'm thinking of doing. Get a chip and the basic stuff, but if you're thinking of throwing G's out for new turbo's, I would consider my option.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:09 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: fuzz_duster

IMO I would take all this money that I would spend on upgrades for my current car, save it up, then turn around and sell the car and add the saved money and get myself an s4 or something that is MADE to go fast. A4's are quick cars, but everyone knows they're no rex or evo (not as ricey, lol). I mean yeah, there's ways you can get these cars up to like 400+ horses, but with all that money why not just invest in a nicer, quicker (stock) car, and then go for some upgrades. Just my 2 cents. Thats what I'm thinking of doing. Get a chip and the basic stuff, but if you're thinking of throwing G's out for new turbo's, I would consider my option.
That's what I'm doing.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:03 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: DavidTurbo

Damn I still dont know what to do! I'm dying to get one already. APR will give me better fuel economy but less fun or power and not upgradeable. GIAC is stronger and has the pc16 file but it might hurt the fuel econmy and I'm not sure if the k04 is even worth it for the money that has to be spent to get that extra 40-50 hp from the k04 also looks like it will work with a gt2x but that might not be very reliable. The unitronics cant be flashed in a 99(has to be chipped in like the rest of them), its the most expensive but does have some better fuel economy for stage1 and is the only one that supports a big turbo later on but its also still more expensive later on. My car has 142k and I dont know how strong or much I can push the engine. Still have a stock clutch and I know that in 2-3 years I wanna get a B6. Maybe I'm just putting too much though into this! I dont know
your going to get nearly identical mpg with either company. when you step on it you'll get crappier gas mileage, but when you stay out of boost you get 30+ mpg. i wouldn't get a k04, i would just use the pc-16 file w/ a gt2x. just get a turbo timer and let the turbo warm up properly and it will be reliable. and if you change your mind and want to go bigger, you can sell the GIAC chip, and get tuned by CTapp for whatever BT you decide on. the ctapp software will only be another 300-350 after you sell your giac chip. luckily for us dbc guys we get an actual chip and not just flashed.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:07 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: fuzz_duster

are you kidding me? a gtrs or 50 trim is pushin over 400hp, and there's no need to even touch the internals. that will walk any k03'd s4 out there. and still be much cheaper. the s4 will cost more in gas, insurance, and mods. if you want a car to mod, an a4 is a much better choice. if you want a stock car that costs you more money, get an s4.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

I priced insurance where I live for owning an s4 at 115/mo. . Right now for my a4 I'm paying 90/mo. And why does anything for an s4 cost more for mods than an a4? Aren't they just as mod friendly? Gas mileage yeah, that would be a crappy point, but hey, if thats what it takes to own a really fun car, so be it. And besides, a mlot of people don't have pockets deep enough to go 400+ HP with their a4's. I'd be happy with 280-300. BUt you do have good points. I'm just saying that was an option for anyone out there looking to go "all out" on mods for their car.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 AM
5th Gear

they are more expensive to mod cause there are 2 turbo's, so there's more parts, and those turbo's are sitting in the bottom back of the engine bay. swapping them out takes a lot of work. stage 3 is hella expensive. rs6 k04's go for near 3 grand, and thats just the turbo's. the a4 is much cheaper to get power out of. if you have enough money to buy an s4, you have enough money for a 400hp a4.

Quick Reply: Chip question, give me some imput on yours