B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Chip question, give me some imput on yours

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:26 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Chip question, give me some imput on yours

enyone knows what kind of power i would get if i chip my 2.8 it a 98. i really like it but i want a 1.8T i put it up for sale, but im wondering if i should just chip this car. what u think?

Old 04-24-2008, 11:46 AM
5th Gear

no chipping the 30v 2.8 is pointless. GIAC only gives 4-6hp so thats pointless. speedtuning claims higher and is cheaper but still not worth it IMO

Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

Thx Bro. ive heard. That is why i put it up for sale 2 days ago on autotrader, hopefully it will sell. This is my first Audi and i really enjoy it any hints you give me would be helpfull. What should i look for when buying a used 1.8? whats the lingo, what is the 1.8 called anyhow?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm make believe

on autotrader put in 4 cyl and only 1.8T's will show up

Old 04-24-2008, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

APR wont be 400 if you get the extra program (which is a waste IMO).

The only difference between them is GIAC is more torquey. But you should choose based off what your gona be doing in the future. giac for k04, apr for stage 3, unitronics for BT. if your not planning on swapping the turbo in the future than any of them will be fine, but GIAC is my reccomendation, especially when coupled with a mbc.
Yeah APR is about $430 through ECStuning.com and I have no one local to me so whoever I go with I'm going to have to send out the cpu and wait for them to chip it which according to both of them I should have my cpu back in four days. I definatly want to get a bigger turbo in the future but I was thinking a direct bolt on so I dont have to buy a new manifold or anything like that, maybe injectors and other bolt ons but I dont plan on spending $4000 on a big turbo kit. You said "MBC" thats a manual boost controller right? The chips will do 15 lbs or 1 bar. How high do you set the manual boost controller without leaning out? What other mods have you done to help with the extra boost? Fuel pump, injectors, mass air flow, etc

Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 PM
5th Gear

i meant for more than 1 program, each program costs something like 50 w/ apr iirc. where do you live?

as for the future, the only bolt on turbo's are the k04 or the elims. a k04 is just a k03 with a better tq curve and slightly higher hp, but the elims can actually put out good power. up to ~400hp. if your going with one in the future i would suggest Unitronics. that way you wont have to pay as much to get re-tuned.

and yeah mbc is manual boost controller. ~22psi is good. anything higher than ~20 is going out of the turbo's efficiency range. so spiking ~22 and holding ~20 is good. and you dont need to change anything else out with the chip, just a new dv to hold the extra boost. but ways to improve on the chip is adding a mbc/ebc, less restrictive exhaust, and fmic/wm. the stock fueling system provides plenty of fuel, so you dont need to upgrade anything there. now if you go BT you'll need new injectors and maf and all that.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

boost settings that you can change right through you cruise controll
what is this blasphemy you speak of!? that would be so sweet if it was actually true or something i was enver informed of

Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 PM
5th Gear

you can change between programs with apr using the cruise control stalk, so its like going from 8 psi to ~20psi when you switch from stock to their 91 or 93 octane program

Old 04-24-2008, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

i meant for more than 1 program, each program costs something like 50 w/ apr iirc. where do you live?

as for the future, the only bolt on turbo's are the k04 or the elims. a k04 is just a k03 with a better tq curve and slightly higher hp, but the elims can actually put out good power. up to ~400hp. if your going with one in the future i would suggest Unitronics. that way you wont have to pay as much to get re-tuned.

and yeah mbc is manual boost controller. ~22psi is good. anything higher than ~20 is going out of the turbo's efficiency range. so spiking ~22 and holding ~20 is good. and you dont need to change anything else out with the chip, just a new dv to hold the extra boost. but ways to improve on the chip is adding a mbc/ebc, less restrictive exhaust, and fmic/wm. the stock fueling system provides plenty of fuel, so you dont need to upgrade anything there. now if you go BT you'll need new injectors and maf and all that.
Wow this is awesome! Getting more and moreexcited about chipping! I live in CT, What are elims? (sorry for all the stupid questions) Is unitronics a store or a brand of turbo? What is "wm?" how much power can you get out of a k04 and how much does a elims cost on average? Thanks guys for all your help! Really apreciate it! Wow forget it I looked at your noob link, that is the most informative post I've seen! awesome job man!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:50 PM

I have the full flash REVO, and for sure I felt the difference! I am currently pushing 14 PSI with stock air intake, Stock DV valve, and stock exhaust. But once that RPM reaches 2k and you start to hear that turbo spool, then you hit 3k and my car takes off! Defenately faster before I got the chip.

Tomorrow I'm installing a Forge 004 BOV and an ABD air intake, and I'll let you if it feels different =]

Quick Reply: Chip question, give me some imput on yours