B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Chip question, give me some imput on yours

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Chip question, give me some imput on yours

OK I've searched everywhere trying to decide between going APR or GIAC. I have a 99.5 1.8TQM and it appears that the GIAC would be a better and more fun chip although the APR states that it gives more power according to ECS tuning (214hp versus 200hp 93 oct). I think I am going to go with APR because I can do two programs, one 93 and one stock. I work an hour from home so as we all know with gasoline a $3.85 for premium and the amount of miles I'm putting on my car I think it makes more sense for me. I average 26 mpg usually. Here's my question for you chipped guys! How is your gas mileage after your chip as apposed to before. Did you lose a significant amount of mpg's? How do you APR guys like your chips? Anybody experience both chips? Is the difference real noticeable? Lets see who rocking what chip and if GIAC really is more powerful and fun! Thanks for your help, can't wait to get more boost! these 5 lbs just aint cutting it!!!lol

Old 04-23-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Chip question, give me some imput on yours

your mpg with a chip will be better on the hw and less in the city. No reason for a second program since you wont ever want to use it. If you use self control, your city wont be that effected by the chip

Old 04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

i friend went with a REVO chip and hes spiking at 20 holding at 17-18 with just intake and the chip so just something else to look into

Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SuprA4

i friend went with a REVO chip and hes spiking at 20 holding at 17-18 with just intake and the chip so just something else to look into
Who sells revo? Do you know how much power hes making with the chip?

Old 04-23-2008, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: DavidTurbo

OK I've searched everywhere trying to decide between going APR or GIAC. I have a 99.5 1.8TQM and it appears that the GIAC would be a better and more fun chip although the APR states that it gives more power according to ECS tuning (214hp versus 200hp 93 oct).You don't know what conditions the dyno was under under (temp, humidity, elevation), so I wouldn't base it off that alone. I think most B5'ers claim that the GIAC feels more powerful I think I am going to go with APR because I can do two programs, one 93 and one stock. I work an hour from home so as we all know with gasoline a $3.85 for premium and the amount of miles I'm putting on my car I think it makes more sense for me. I average 26 mpg usually. Here's my question for you chipped guys! How is your gas mileage after your chip as apposed to before. Did you lose a significant amount of mpg's? I live in the country so most of my driving is highway, and it indicates that I get better gas mileage when I'm cruising. But the problem is I have a chip and I like to use it so I get less[8D] How do you APR guys like your chips? Anybody experience both chips? Is the difference real noticeable? Lets see who rocking what chip and if GIAC really is more powerful and fun! Thanks for your help, can't wait to get more boost! these 5 lbs just aint cutting it!!!lol I have the GIAC and I love it
As for Revo chips I know other places sell them but this is the first one Google gave me - link

Old 04-23-2008, 11:10 PM

Found their website - http://www.revotechnik.com/aboutRevo...Solutions.aspx

Old 04-23-2008, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

cool thing about revo if you find the right place they will upgrade you to stage II for $50 after you get exhaust and DV...while your at the tuning place get them to put your tiptronic in sport mode (HUGE DIFFERENCE for free!)

Old 04-24-2008, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

Seems like Revo chips are more expensive than APR and GIAC! They want $500 for Revo and APR & GIAC are only $400! so I think Revo might be out

Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 AM
5th Gear

APR wont be 400 if you get the extra program (which is a waste IMO).

The only difference between them is GIAC is more torquey. But you should choose based off what your gona be doing in the future. giac for k04, apr for stage 3, unitronics for BT. if your not planning on swapping the turbo in the future than any of them will be fine, but GIAC is my reccomendation, especially when coupled with a mbc.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

i have the giac and love it!!! i picked my up at evolution motorsports along with a one of there intakes ( evoms.com) and there are lots of features to choose from like boost settings that you can change right through you cruise controll, valett mode wich will not let anyone who drives you car other than you take it over 3000 rpm and its removable you can put your old chip back in for warranty issues let us know what you do!

Quick Reply: Chip question, give me some imput on yours