B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Check Engine Light after ATP exhaust manifold install

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

Cool...I'm not real hard on my car, as it's my main (and only) transportation. I'm no "grandma" driver though...I get on it every now and then. I'll definitely do the non-fouler first and see if I can get Advance Auto or AutoZone to clear the code. Hopefully it won't come back after that.

Good to know about APR. I'll definitely look into that. Thanks for all the help!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Onepoint8tee...From what I've been reading, it looks like there's no real proven method that works regarding the drilling or not drilling of the non-foulers. How is yours setup?

I'll probably go with one as you have recommended, but should I drill it out or leave it alone?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Site Moderator

You have to drill it some to get the 02 to screw in fully. When using 2 non foulers (i dont think you need 2 with a hfc) then it's debateable wether or not to drill the second non fouler. They sell short or long non foulers. If I were you, I'd just get a long one and drill it out completely.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
You have to drill it some to get the 02 to screw in fully. When using 2 non foulers (i dont think you need 2 with a hfc) then it's debateable wether or not to drill the second non fouler. They sell short or long non foulers. If I were you, I'd just get a long one and drill it out completely.
Perfect...I'll give that a try.

Been reading the "speedtuning experience" thread too...APR is expensive...GIAC is expensive...does Speedtuning really stack up against APR and GIAC?

Do you foresee me running into another CEL with a ST chip and a drilled long non-fouler?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Site Moderator

Chips don't cause CELs. I can't tell much of a difference between GIAC and ST. The differences I notice seem to be more related to one car being fwd and the other awd, tip and manual, one has full exhaust with test pipe and the other has stock exhaust. Both boost around 18 psi. You can't beat speed tuning for the money. If for some crazy reason one non fouler doesn't do the trick, then add one. Most times when people get a cel shortly after getting a chip its just a coincidence, but they are quick to blame it on the chip.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:14 PM
3rd Gear

Just some input, my Labree HFC has not caused a MIL. I'm running the original O2 sensors.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried using a different O2 sensor or checking it's reading to rule out the possibility of a bad one or the wrong one?

Old 01-12-2009, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear

My labree hfc cause a cel after first installing it, only once, has not come back,
APR charges for the 02 delete as a second program, I was goin to get it, but for what its worth, I can deal with getting a Cel every once in a while...if it comes back again.
I am not sure, but I think if you get chipped with APR they will include it.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

Oddly enough, the CEL went out tonight on my way home. I did quite a bit more interstate driving today than I normally do though...wonder if it'll come back on.

I'm still gonna do the non-fouler. I think I can deal with the CEL coming on every once in a while (assuming it still comes on after the non-fouler is installed), but I can't justify APR's price for a chip. That's just too much to pay for Stage 1 performance.

I'm gonna go with Speed Tuning.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

Damn! The CEL came back on tonight while I was on the interstate. Guess I'll be installing a non-fouler tomorrow or Monday.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:17 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RyanSweeney
Damn! The CEL came back on tonight while I was on the interstate. Guess I'll be installing a non-fouler tomorrow or Monday.
Same code?

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light after ATP exhaust manifold install