B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Check Engine Light after ATP exhaust manifold install

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Check Engine Light after ATP exhaust manifold install

I replaced the catalytic converter in my car about 6-8 weeks ago with a HFC from LaBree Motorsports. At that time, I installed two new O2 sensors.

Since then everything has been fine, outside of having a cracked exhaust manifold.

Over the weekend after the new year, I replaced the manifold with a high flow replacement from ATP. I drove the car every day last week, but today the CEL came on.

Advance Auto scanned it and the code was:

P0422
Main Catalyst
Below Threshold
(Bank 1)

Given all the new parts involved, what can I do to resolve this?

BTW, the O2 sensors are from ECS Tuning and I believe they are Bosch IIRC.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm make believe

Cat flows to well. If you clear it, it will come back in about 100 miles. Just add in an o2 spacer on the second o2 sensor and it should stay away

Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 AM
1st Gear

Where can I get an O2 spacer? I sure hope there's enough room down there to get a spacer in. Looks like if it's too tall the O2 sensor would be up against the firewall.

Is this also known as a sparkplug non-fouler?

I plan on getting the Stage 1 chip in the near future, so how will this affect being chipped? Or rather, how will being chipped affect the CEL?

Thanks.

Last edited by RyanSweeney; 01-12-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Site Moderator

Yeah same thing as a spark plug non fouler. There is room trust me. I use 2 non foulers on top of each other with my ATP test pipe. A chip wouldnt hurt the situation. You'll actually be able to take advantage of the extra breathing room that you created.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm make believe

most chips have a file that will get rid of that ecu and you dont need the spacer(s).

Old 01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Yeah same thing as a spark plug non fouler. There is room trust me. I use 2 non foulers on top of each other with my ATP test pipe. A chip wouldnt hurt the situation. You'll actually be able to take advantage of the extra breathing room that you created.
Cool..thanks for the tip.

The plan is to get chipped...I don't want anything crazy though, which is why I'm sticking with Stage 1.

So, in your opinion onepoint8tee, do I still need the non-foulers with the chip? Or will I be okay once I get chipped, as CincyTT stated?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 AM
5th Gear

i'd get the chip so you actually use the parts you installed better. or if you're cheap and don't want more hp get the non-fouler. i'd get the chip from speedtuning

Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Site Moderator

The only company that offers a "no cel due to 02" file is APR as far as I know. It still stores a fault, just doesnt trigger a cel. Most companies do not do this because messing with emissions components/notifications (CEL) is illegal if not for "off road use." Definitely put a non fouler in there. Since you have a hfc and not a hollow test pipe, 1 should do the job. Might be sort of a pita to get it on with the cat already installed, but im sure it's doable.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 01-12-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
The only company that offers a "no cel due to 02" file is APR as far as I know. It still stores a fault, just doesnt trigger a cel. Most companies do not do this because messing with emissions components/notifications (CEL) is illegal if not for "off road use." Definitely put a non fouler in there. Since you have a hfc and not a hollow test pipe, 1 should do the job. Might be sort of a pita to get it on with the cat already installed, but im sure it's doable.
Okay, so just to clarify. One non-fouler on my setup should clear the CEL, or at least prevent it from coming back, right?

And as far as getting chipped, are you saying that if I were to go with someone else other than APR, my CEL will likely come back on after I get chipped? Or will the non-fouler take care of that issue all together?

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Site Moderator

APR's chip doesn't come with the file that prevents you from getting an 02 related CEL, it's seperate, or at least you would need to make sure that it's included when they chip it. The non fouler will (should) take care of it altogether. With my test pipe, even with 2 non foulers, I still get a CEL every 1k miles or so. Usually only if i get on it real hard through every gear when it really flows.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light after ATP exhaust manifold install